VMware Cloud Community
big_vern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RDM - Virtual Mode

Hi,

This is maybe a stupid question, but if I snapshot a VM with a RDM in virtual compatability modev (using VMware), where does the delta vmdk reside (in which LUN, the RDM lun - I think not as this would be NTFS)

I intend to create a 1TB RDM and want to know if I need to leave any headroom for snapshots

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The snapshot will reside in the same location as the VMDK pointer file. This needs to be kept in mind when creating VM's. Especially if you have a 1TB data LUN and there's lots of data changing in a short amount of time you can and will run in to serious problem when the snapshot fills up our boot volume.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you have an RDM in virtual mode, you will create a VMDK mapping file. When you snapshot the VM, the snapshot file will be created where that VMDK file resides. Most likely this is in the same folder as the boot VMDK.

mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to add, the answer is no, it will not use the 1TB RDM for snapshots. That will be exclusively owned by the guest OS.

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The snapshot will reside in the same location as the VMDK pointer file. This needs to be kept in mind when creating VM's. Especially if you have a 1TB data LUN and there's lots of data changing in a short amount of time you can and will run in to serious problem when the snapshot fills up our boot volume.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
big_vern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies guys - thats what I kind of thought, just wanted to confirm it

0 Kudos