VMware Cloud Community
chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question regarding Quad Port PRO/1000 and DL 585 G2 server

Does anyone know which model fits or currently use the Intel Quad Port PRO/1000 NIC on DL 585 G2?

The DL 585 Slot1 and Slot2 are PCI - X 100MHz slots. Which model Quad Port fits in these ports? OR Have you placed them in the PCI - Ex4 or Ex8 slots?

I see 3 Quad Port Models: MT and PT and the Low Profile server adapters.

Please help.

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This Intel nic should work as well and is listed on the compatiblity list. I have it quoted for us in use for soon HP purchase.

Here's a list of the rest of the Intel line for you records for Gigabit speed in PCI-X form:

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/server_adapters.htm?iid=prodmap_nc+server#s1=Giga...

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This Intel nic should work as well and is listed on the compatiblity list. I have it quoted for us in use for soon HP purchase.

Here's a list of the rest of the Intel line for you records for Gigabit speed in PCI-X form:

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/server_adapters.htm?iid=prodmap_nc+server#s1=Giga...

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I use the HP supplied Intel quat ports. They are PCIe. HP NC364T PCIe 4Pt Gigabit Server Adptr 435508-B2

Here's the list of HP adapters (as listed in the HP Product Bulletin):

Adam

chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Abaum

Fantastic info.

I will be ordering 2 Quad Port cards.

Did you place them in the 4x or 8x slots?

Ill have to place mine in the 8x slots, which I presume will give better performance?

Any tips or issues you can relay would be great for these cards.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm running in both the 4x and 8x slots. I have three cards in my servers: two in 8x and one in 4x, but I am only using the cards in the 8x right now. No cables are plugged into the third card at this time. I set my vswitches up to contain ports from both cards so I am not completely hosed if one card has a fatal malfunction.

adam

chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question regarding pSwitches and the Quads.

How many Eth ports of the 2 quads to you have going to pSwitch1 and pSwitch2?

I was curious if its possible for 4 of the ports on Quad1 to goto pSwitch1 and 4 of the ports on Quad2 goto pSwitch2 for redundancy. (VM traffic)

OR

Is this not possible with ESX vSwitches to go to 2 diff. pSwitches and the pSwitches would handle re-routing if pSwitch1 goes down.

Thanks

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you can mix physical switches. The requirement would be a switch that supports this. If you remove VM from the mix, HP's NIC teaming can do with across switches that fully support 802.3ad (and then some). Here's a link: I've also read some Cisco documentation along the same lines.

Due to the capabilities of my network equipment, I keep all the ports used in a vswitch on the same physical switch. However, I currently have to vswitches configured for a different network. In effect, I have each quad going to both physical switches: 2 ports for one vswitch, 2 ports for the other.

2219_2219.bmp

Due to the way NICs enumerated, 0 and 9 are the onboard. 1-4 are on one card, 10-13 on the other.

adam

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Those cards are actually PCI-E x1, so they will work in any slot, x1, x4 x8 but I don't think you'll get any faster speed out of them.

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

While they are PCIe v1 compliant, the cards are 4 lane (x4).

Check out the page title "Specifications".

adam

0 Kudos