VMware Cloud Community
anv9031
Contributor
Contributor

Question on network config

Greetings,

As I am rather new to VM, I'm slightly confused on how to best configure the Service Console and VMotion networks.

We're planning to install ESX 3.5 on several Dell PE R900's, each with 6 nics (2 on board and 2 dual port nic cards). We plan on placing the Service Console on a private network, completed isolated from the network that will be used by our VM's. My question is, does VMotion need it's own private network as well (a 3rd network) or can I use the private network currently reserved for the Service Console. Given that we have 6 nics, what would be considered best practice?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Depending on your storage, I would do something like this:

NICs A,B: SC and Vmotion (SC primary on A, Vmotion primary on B)

NIC C,D: Virtual Machines

NIC E,F: iSCSI storage or DMZ, depending on your needs.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
gary1012
Expert
Expert

Other considerations for VMotion can be found here:

Page 7: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_best_practices.pdf

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/techreports/cse/2007/CSE-TR-539-07.pdf

It's generally recommended to have VMotion on a separate vlan/network due to performance and security reasons.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
Bovine
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm currently a fan of the single virtual switch which contains all of the physical NICs. With your six NICs, patch three (one onboard and two NIC) interfaces into each redundant network switch, trunk them (802.3ad) and use VLANs to segregate traffic as required. You'll need VLANs for

Management (service console)

VMotion (vmkernel)

One or more for virtual machines, dmz etc

This way you make best utilisation of the bandwidth (this setup gives redundant 3gbps) and provides redundancy..

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Theres no way I would do this ^^^

I prefer the differentiation available from having a vswitch for my SC and Vmotion not being shared by VMs....what if a VM goes nuts shoving out 6Gbit and now you've saturated your cards for that host and cant access the SC or VMotion?

This is a bad idea, and theres a reason its not VMwares best practice (nor Cisco's, or Junipers).

--Matt

0 Kudos
Bovine
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey mcowger, you sound a bit stressed and might need a holiday Smiley Happy

We know what you prefer, and although I held to your black & white view until earlier this year I've seen some situations where this is simply more appropriate. One can throttle a VLAN if required, or prioritise traffic, and what if a VM doesn't actually go nuts? I've never seen it.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Not stressed - just dont think its a good idea.

I'm sure there are a few situtations in which that might be a better design, but I just haven't seen one.

And I HAVE seen VMs go nuts numerous times (my developers do all sorts of crazy stuff)

--Matt

0 Kudos