VMware Cloud Community
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question about DataStore

Newbie question.

I learned that i had to use a predefined "datastore" area to load .iso images on VMs residing in my ESX server. I have the current problem that the default datastore for iso images is too small for the DVD image i wish to put in it. I would like to create a new datastore area, i'm guessing onthe vmfs volume so that i can have more significat images available.

My questions are 1) Is the vmfs volume a good place for this, and if not what is a good location? and 2) How do I create said datastore?

Thanks,

fred

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kukacz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, "datastore" and "vmfs volume" are two terms for the same thing.

If you have low space, then you can add another partition as an extent to the existing VMFS volume. It depends on what hardware you have available. The best would be a single large local partition. Let us know what storage options you have.

--

Lukas Kubin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kukacz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, "datastore" and "vmfs volume" are two terms for the same thing.

If you have low space, then you can add another partition as an extent to the existing VMFS volume. It depends on what hardware you have available. The best would be a single large local partition. Let us know what storage options you have.

--

Lukas Kubin

0 Kudos
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like you are right. I just dumped my image in the storage1 directory on the vmfs volume and am off to the races. I prefer, like you mention, bascially to have one large volume. I just thought I was tied to this datastore direrectory that was provided with the default install.

Thanks,

fred

0 Kudos