VMware Cloud Community
A_Y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Query on Backup & Restore Oracle on Virtual Machines using Netbackup

I am a newbie in VMWare. I am currently looking for a solution to backup oracle database in a brunch of virtual machines and thus each database can be individually restored (instead of restoring the entire virtual machine from consolidated backup).

We have an ESX Server connected to a SAN via fibre channel for our virtual environment setup. Each virtual machine within the ESX Server is installed with either Oracle 8/9i/10g database correspondently. We want to take a backup of the virtual machine as a whole (like consolidated backup), as well as backup of individual database (as this is the most frequently update object in each virtual machine) to an external backup media, i.e. tape drive. We have looked at the Symantec NetBackup solution to do a backup on both consolidated backup and the database onto the external backup media. We wannt know is it possible to backup the database directly onto the external backup media using the Netbackup Oracle agent, so that each database can be individually restore? If not, is there any other way rounds it to backup each database and thus each database can be restored individually (instead of restore the whole virtual machine)?

It would be a great help if someone can help me on this. Thanks very much

AY

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To take a backup of your database, just install the oracle agent for netbackup on your VM, like you would on a physical server.

For best performance, use a separate machine as Netbackup server, and connect the drive to it.

Netbackup will connect to the agent on your oracle VMs and back them up over the network.

Using a VM as backup server could work as well, but you'll have to configure the VM to use the backup device (SCSI i assume) connected to your ESX host, and it cannot be shared between VMs.

Last time I checked, this setup was only supported using an Adaptec SCSI controller to connect the device.

I tried this once, and it worked, but performance was considerably lower than having a dedicated backup server with the drive physically attached.

If you want to use VCB, i recommend putting the Virtual Disk containing the DB in independent mode, so it will not be snapshotted; and only using VCB in fullvm mode for system disk.

You could experiment with adding a separate Backup VMDK to your VM, using Oracles backup mechanism to dump a database backup to this disk, and including that in your VCB backup.

This way you can use the advantage of VCB (speed, no network affection) and be sure you get a consistent backup of the database.

I have no idea on the difference in speed between this last setup and using the agent over the network, though, because the total backup time in the latter case would include first the dump, and then the VCB backup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To take a backup of your database, just install the oracle agent for netbackup on your VM, like you would on a physical server.

For best performance, use a separate machine as Netbackup server, and connect the drive to it.

Netbackup will connect to the agent on your oracle VMs and back them up over the network.

Using a VM as backup server could work as well, but you'll have to configure the VM to use the backup device (SCSI i assume) connected to your ESX host, and it cannot be shared between VMs.

Last time I checked, this setup was only supported using an Adaptec SCSI controller to connect the device.

I tried this once, and it worked, but performance was considerably lower than having a dedicated backup server with the drive physically attached.

If you want to use VCB, i recommend putting the Virtual Disk containing the DB in independent mode, so it will not be snapshotted; and only using VCB in fullvm mode for system disk.

You could experiment with adding a separate Backup VMDK to your VM, using Oracles backup mechanism to dump a database backup to this disk, and including that in your VCB backup.

This way you can use the advantage of VCB (speed, no network affection) and be sure you get a consistent backup of the database.

I have no idea on the difference in speed between this last setup and using the agent over the network, though, because the total backup time in the latter case would include first the dump, and then the VCB backup.

0 Kudos
A_Y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the useful tips Patrickds. Just an extra bid to ask, let say I've got 10 virtual machines with oracle installed on each of them, do I need 10 Netbackup oracle agent licenses? or just 1 oracle agent licence is required?

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I guess you would need a licensed agent per Oracle server, just like for Backup Exec.

You may want to contact a Symantec reseller to be sure about this (and what it would cost)

0 Kudos
A_Y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much Patrickds.

0 Kudos