VMware Cloud Community
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quad Port NICs & vSwitches

I have been reading the security design architecture white paper to help me construct the network elements of my VI and as this is my first stab at VI I would be grateful for some feedback on my proposed implementation before I spec the hardware. Some of my questions may be very basic but hopefully they don't sound too daft.

I hope to host a number of machines from different sides of the DMZ on the same host and my current thinking is to seperate the traffic using vSwitches so that I can easily add vm's to either switch depending on which side of the DMZ I want the machine to be located.

• 1 vSwitch for machines outside the DMZ

• 1 vSwitch for machines inside the DMZ

• 1 vSwitch for service console

If I have 1 Intel quad port physical NIC can I still use vSwitches to separate the traffic, the white paper mentioned virtual switches cannot share physical Ethernet adapters, so there is no way to fool the Ethernet adapter into doing loopback or something similar that would cause a leak between virtual switches (pg8) and I was wondering does ESX 3.5 treat quad port nics as 1 or 4 NICs?

If I add a second quad port can I use NIC teaming across the different cards to add some redundancy to the vSwitches i.e. can I pair NIC 1 Port 1 with NIC 2 Port 1?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMWare will see four (4) pNics for a quad-port physical NIC card.

Yes you can team NIC1-P1 with NIC2-P1.

Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From my experience a quad core NIC will appear as 4 interfaces to Vmware, which you can then use for whatever you like.

Your design looks find to me, although I'd definitely go for a 2nd quad core nic for resilience.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It will see 4 NICS and you can then do what you like with it, including NIC teaming and load balancing...

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who replied. I just wanted to check about the quad port because i'm used to 1 port = 1 Nic

0 Kudos