VMware Cloud Community
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Power Supply log

Does anyone know where I can find the log for the power supply of the ESX host? I am looking for logs such as the status of the power supply unit or redunduncy state. This is a Dell 2950 server. Thanks in advance.

Daniel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Generally you'll use CIM to monitor your hardware which includes power supplies/etc. You can get this information through ESX(i) by looking at the Hardware Status which gives you a graphical breakdown of your components. You should also be able to get this through syslog but if you're looking for the raw logs for some of the hardware components, you might be able to see it here:

/var/log/ipmi/0

There's a file called sel which looks like it might contain some info about PSU

[root@esx-host-1 0]# cat sel
20090727133010: Assert + Event Logging Disabled Log area reset/cleared
20090727133039: Assert + Power Supply Power Supply AC lost
20090727133039: Assert + Power Supply Redundancy Lost
20090727133140: Assert + Power Supply Power Supply AC lost
20090727133140: Assert + Power Supply Redundancy Lost

Majority of the logs is the raw data that is used to CIM/etc. You probably will get more detail information by using the CIM API or vSphere API to extract the hardware information.

You can take a look at this script that I wrote to help monitor your hardware and you can setup scheduled runs and it'll email you the report;

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the ipmi instruction. The sel file basically reports the parameter indicated in Virtual Center hardware monitoring for Power (see attached). The closest I got to determining whether I lost power to one or both of my power supply was looking through the uptime in vmksummary.txt file.

Is there any place in ESX that contains the raw log file of all events related to power?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not sure if there's any other location, again the recommendation is to either utilize agents to monitor the hardware or the CIM API to retrieve this information, that's what that API is for

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

For Dell system you can also use Open Manage (on ESX side) + IT Assistant.

Or Dell Management Console (but it's a little more complicated then IT Assistant).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos