VMware Cloud Community
--Norton--
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Planning a VMware View environment. Need help

Hi All

I have been tasked at designing and implementing a VMware View environment for approx 150 wks.

I have no prior experience of vmview but I have quite a bit of experience with Virtual centre and ESX as I already have approx 90 ESX Hosts.

The following are questions that I have regarding deploying vmware view.

1) Should I use a seperate VC Server for the VM View ESX Hosts or just put them in their own Datacentre within VC?

2) Whats the latest version of OS supported by View? I thought it was Windows 7 but apparently thats on next release?

3) Am I better to use my normal HBA Fibre server connection to storage or should I use CIFs or NFS? (Read it somewhere)

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Answers in line - hope it helps:

1) Should I use a seperate VC Server for the VM View ESX Hosts or just put them in their own Datacentre within VC?

Using the same VC is fine - just ensure that you use dedicated hosts segregated from server workloads

2) Whats the latest version of OS supported by View? I thought it was Windows 7 but apparently thats on next release?

Windows XP basically. Windows 7 gained a technology preview status as of the .1 revision of View. Basically use at your own risk and not in production.

3) Am I better to use my normal HBA Fibre server connection to storage or should I use CIFs or NFS? (Read it somewhere)

I have used Fibre and NFS - either is fine. You just need to ensure you have a good understanding of I/O demand and ensure that you can provide enough throughput by sizing your storage and interfaces correctly.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
geddam
Expert
Expert

Norton.....Please find the below answers

1) Should I use a seperate VC Server for the VM View ESX Hosts or just

put them in their own Datacentre within VC?

Ans: Same VC would be enough, however maintain a dedicated SQL server for VC remotely if your setup is going to be large.

2) Whats the latest version of OS supported by View? I thought it was

Windows 7 but apparently thats on next release?

Ans: VIEW 4.5 is on its way. Windows 7 with VIEW thats the prime focus....But as of now, as Paul said, Windows XP is the master blaster.

3) Am I better to use my normal HBA Fibre server connection to storage

or should I use CIFs or NFS? (Read it somewhere)

Ans: FC SAN is best.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,