VMware Cloud Community
nitinsahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Planning ESX Test envirment

Hi All,

Well, I am installing a Test ESX 3.0 with Virtual Center 2.0 with SAN availability.I am new to vmware as I am citrix folk. Later on I will install 1 Citrix Farm for all VM's(just for practice)

I got DL380 G2 server with 8 GB of RAM.Now I need to install ESX Deployment through ISO Image.I am completly unaware of Linux to do any change in service console.I might install SMP as I got key for that too.

Just want to know , what are all images VMFS and other images required by me ? ... I got everything in my SAN however I am not sure how exactly to start and what precautions do I need to take.Can anybopdy help me knowing the prcedure for fresh installation from ISO image which is on SAN.

I think I would be requiring an IP Address too , right ? ..... aah.. I am just doing it by reading books and just need an expert comments here by anyone who has actually done this practically.

Thanks for your help and Suport

Nitin Sahi

nitinnitin50@gmail.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Got to love nice iLO functionality ( I sometimes forget it is easy to mount ISO's outside of VMWare).

No actual need for the root user for day to day admin, you certainly can use the admin account you created in the initial install to connect with the VI client. I tend to use the root account pw during the initial setup of a box, then once I get it attached and managed to a VC, I change the root pw to an ugly string of #'s and characters.

You should be able to do most of your management through the VI console, but you will need to get onto the box using SSH for updating the box ( ESX patches) and you'll need to use WinSCP or Veamm's FASTSCP ( recommended) to move files etc on and off the box/vmfs.

The initial install really is a cake walk, defaults are fine. It's the patching and config afterward that can get somewhat in depth after the initial brush.

Big thing you'll need to know is you CANNOT use SCP with root account out of the box. You'll need to ssh into the server using the SC IP and create a non-root account. You do this at the command line with the following

#useradd NEWUSERNAME

Then set the password for that account using

#passwd NEWUSERNAME

You can now use this account to setup FASTSCP and drop your stuff on and off the box.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=87580&messageID=661173#661173

There is a thread that discusses several of the easier ways to patch your system up to spec before you get going.

I think that covers the basic gotcha's...anything you run into just pop it in here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, the first thing would be is to keep it simple.

Take that ISO image you have of ESX 3.0 ( be sure you have the latest 3.0.1) and burn it to a CD. Use that CD to do the install of the ESX server, you will be fine with the defaults for pretty much everything. You can define partition sizes, etc, but for your first go around you'll be ok with letting ESX define it for you. Also make sure you assign a static IP to your SC in the GUI, then let it install.

Once that is done, you can use your favorite internet browser and point it to the IP of the service console, now you'll have a web page that will let you download the VI client. Do this, start it up and you can connect to your ESX server using this and your root username/pw and the service console IP. Once in there, play with the config settings, look around a good bit. Follow the SAN guide and get your SAN attached (LUN presented). Once you have that done and formatted your LUN in VMFS, you can install your first VM ( maybe a Windows 2003 server to install VC on?) and get the hang of things.

I hope that gets your started, feel free to post back any step of the way, there are plenty of friendly folks here to help.

Good luck!

nitinsahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks buddy for the help ...

I just start the checking of the ISO image, by installing it through iLO ( By providing path of that image) ... now I will start the exact installation just after couple of hours.....

Well , I still didn't find the use for Root username and password ? , DO we need it while configuring default setting and installation of ESX box and creating VM's.... as I am completly unaware of Linux......

I do got 2 IP's ..1 for Service consol and another one for ESX Server to be online.

SAN part is fine , I am clear with that ........ Please let us know any other precaution I need to take while doing this installation..

Thanks again for your help

Nitin Sahi

0 Kudos
letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Got to love nice iLO functionality ( I sometimes forget it is easy to mount ISO's outside of VMWare).

No actual need for the root user for day to day admin, you certainly can use the admin account you created in the initial install to connect with the VI client. I tend to use the root account pw during the initial setup of a box, then once I get it attached and managed to a VC, I change the root pw to an ugly string of #'s and characters.

You should be able to do most of your management through the VI console, but you will need to get onto the box using SSH for updating the box ( ESX patches) and you'll need to use WinSCP or Veamm's FASTSCP ( recommended) to move files etc on and off the box/vmfs.

The initial install really is a cake walk, defaults are fine. It's the patching and config afterward that can get somewhat in depth after the initial brush.

Big thing you'll need to know is you CANNOT use SCP with root account out of the box. You'll need to ssh into the server using the SC IP and create a non-root account. You do this at the command line with the following

#useradd NEWUSERNAME

Then set the password for that account using

#passwd NEWUSERNAME

You can now use this account to setup FASTSCP and drop your stuff on and off the box.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=87580&messageID=661173#661173

There is a thread that discusses several of the easier ways to patch your system up to spec before you get going.

I think that covers the basic gotcha's...anything you run into just pop it in here.

0 Kudos
nitinsahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks buddy for awesome knowledge sharing ............. This will surely help me a lot........ You are right about the ropot password (I got to know after wards the one which we create at the time of insttalation).

Well, Let me just create a test envirement and I will do some R&D and will come back with more issue lolzz...... I am planning VCP in next month so have to work really hard to know vmware deeply.

Thanks again for helping me out ........

Nitin

0 Kudos