VMware Cloud Community
mohanad_cs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plan to migrate physical servers VMs to ESX

HI,

Actually I want to deploy ESX & with many VMs migrated from physical production servers , but I am wandering if there is free Tools to download to analyze CPU , Memory , Networks Performance on Physical Servers ,based on these Info I will start prepare my design & install require CPU, NIC, Memory on ESX Servers.

I found utility which is called Power Recon for monitoring but they will charge me for each Server Statistics & for amount of time I will use it.

Did anybody have an alternate solution to define the Current Physical server Performance with free utility & it will give an accurate Statistics ?

Thanks & Regards,

Mohanad R.Aljabi.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All of the pay tools are basically pulling the same data Perfmon is going to give you, so if you have a small environment you can set up stats for 30 days and manually compile the data. The pay tools do that for you and crunch the data. As for some basics you want to look at CPU, Memory and Disk mainly. Network IO is generally impossible to saturate, but still worth recording just in case. Also this information will help you decide on what VMs you should carve out to which LUN to help split disk IO performance.

Thomas H. Bryant III

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Please try not to post the same question twice.

Previous post:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=74722&tstart=0

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are many many options for this... but they all cost money. The only freebie I'm aware of is microsoft perfmon (at the cost of human labor and frustration). Perhaps you can leverage the vendors you are buying licenses and hardware from to offset the cost if you choose a product you must pay for.

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think that if you have a lot of Physical Machine to analyse the better and quicker way is to put in some $$ in the project and purchese the Capacity Planner Services from your trusted vendor.

The tool is quite complete and helpful

Cheers

HTH

mf

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We've just migrated 20 of our physical servers to vmware. We used windows perfmon to anaylse the utilisation. It wasn't really that painful, but anything more than 30 then i think you need to look a proper tool. Sell the benefits of migrating the 30 machines to vmware, and it shouldn't be too hard to get funding...

How many servers are you thinking about migrating?

0 Kudos
donestes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This link is broken. The topic does not come up.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

the nice admins deleted it for us.

0 Kudos
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Buy something like Paessler's PRTG (www.paessler.com) and set up its free SNMP Helper on each of your systems you want to know about. You can then graph your processor, memory usage, and other performance metrics over time to give you a good picture of what you're using and the peak times you're using it. It has been invaluable to us.

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All of the pay tools are basically pulling the same data Perfmon is going to give you, so if you have a small environment you can set up stats for 30 days and manually compile the data. The pay tools do that for you and crunch the data. As for some basics you want to look at CPU, Memory and Disk mainly. Network IO is generally impossible to saturate, but still worth recording just in case. Also this information will help you decide on what VMs you should carve out to which LUN to help split disk IO performance.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos