VMware Cloud Community
kevin79
Contributor
Contributor

Performance monitoring on ESX 3.0.1

I'm pretty new to VI3 but I have used ESX 2.5.3 for just over a year now. I don't have Virtual Center so I'm using the VI3 client connected directly to my ESX 3.0.1 host.

When looking at the Performance charts, I can only see the last hour worth of information. Is there a way to set a longer time frame for the Performance charts? I would like to see the data for at least the last 24 hours if not longer so that I can see any trends that might be occuring.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, you can see 24 hours in graph mode, change the charts options.

Else ou can use ESXTOP in console mode to schedule trace logs and analyse them later.

Regards

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
kevin79
Contributor
Contributor

The option is greyed out. I can't change the time at all, even if I log on a root.

0 Kudos
jlauro
Expert
Expert

Click the change chart options, then expand cpu, and pick 5 minutes instead of real time to get 24 hour. If you have VC you have more choices.

If things are not showing up, make sure the time is in sync between your workstation and the ESX server.

ESX 2 actually had better (longer) stats without VC then ESX 3 does.

0 Kudos
gundamz
Contributor
Contributor

Got another newbie question. I like the format of esxtop, but when pipe it to a file (esxtop 5 -n 200 > output), it's very difficult to make it look like the original format. Is there an option to write to the file as it appears on the command line? If not, does anyone has a quick script to convert the data into somewhat readable format?

thx,

gundamz

0 Kudos