VMware Cloud Community
makdaddy8888
Contributor
Contributor

P2V OEM SBS2008 esxi 5

Issue 1. SBS 2008 Premium IBM box failing

I want to move our ageing SBS 2008 DC (TKSERVER) to ESXi 5.1 onto an currently running WS2008 (TKSVR) with SQL 2005. I understand the concerns with FSMO and timestamps. Is there a best practive guide that anyone can point me too? I presume the OEM licence will be ok as I will be virtualizing the software on to the other WS2008 which was purchased at the same time as the OEM Licence. I am just retiring/consolidating old hardware.

Issue 2. I am running out of space on the TKSVR server which is an intel box and motherboard with 10 146gb SAS 15K drives. How easy is it to remove the existing raid in ESXi and replace the 146GB sas drives with bigger 300gb drives. My machine can take 10 x 3.5" drives. Our SQL database is 60GB growing 300mb each day.

Issue 3. I see some people running into issues with performance with allocating too many Cores at once. Is there some rule of thumb that can be applied here. For example the TKSVR is only running at 1-2% processor load (16 cores) but being an SQL 2005 server more memory wouldn't go astray. The TKSERVER is running at 60% processor (4 cores) but all 8gb is being consumed so need to allocate more memory there. The TKSERVER is an SBS but we do not run exchange nor Sharepoint, but is a file server and CA.

Thanks guys for any input and hope to be a valued member of your community soon.

Ben

Sydney Australia

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies