VMware Cloud Community
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

P2V Assist in the Datacenter?

Hi,

I was wondering what should be the approach one needs to take to do P2V.

1) We have huge number of servers in the Datacenter, that we need to know whether they can be virtualized OR not?

2) We need to know, how to Virtualize these Servers in a cost efficient way?

Also, if some one can please point me in the direction to make this project successful will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you looked at Capacity Planner?

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the reply. But I need to get all this done myself and not via someone else. So, I need to know the tools and approach to make this project successful.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can use VMware Capacity Planner services to you for free if you have intended to do so with any VMware Authorize Partners, they will come in and deploy VCP analysis and reports thorougly about resource usage and compatibility details whether is a great candidate to virtualize and also great option for you to ask any questions or doubts about VMware. VMware PSO are group of certified professional consultants that do this for a living and its free part of the contract.

If not, you can use lite version of it Guided Consolidation built in with ESX 3.5 and give you general info make you decide it. Once listed all servers needed to be virtualized, just use VMware P2V Converter and do all the servers that you want. Sometimes you might use Platespin product and depends your requirements and budget. P2V Converter is totally free and there are instructions how to do a "P2V Migration procedures" such on google. Make sure you can find a script that automatically remove all "zombies or stale devices" after P2V because the manual process is rather slow especially with hundred of servers. If you need more details let me know anytime.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Here is a list of P2V procedures that you can read and start using it. All you need is general analysis of your performance storage, memory, networking details and determine from there and also read some best practices for servers such as Exchange, AD, Citrix etc...and proceed accordingly. Good luck.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Can you please point to the scripts, that will make this process easy ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Here is the script made by Mike Laverick years ago and still good to go and PDF guides about the script if you want to know about it

After P2V'ed the server, mount .iso to the virtual machine and execute the script that will automatically remove stale/zombie devices on your windows server.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

These are extremely helpful ideas and suggestions. I wonder are these documented at one central location OR is there a link OR a website - which has more of such tips and tricks ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest contacting your hardware if you plan to but new servers because they would be able should be able to run capacity planner for you since all the major server manufacturers are VMware partners and you might be able to strike a deal -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Problem is he has to do it on his own no consultants involved, but you can use light wait Guided Consolidation wizard for free to get basic reports though. Have you test out the .iso script image and report how it work? It is very useful when doing P2V migration.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos