VMware Cloud Community
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Number of virtual Switches

Hello,

Anyone knows if have a limit number to create Virtual Switches.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is a limit of 127 virtual switches per ESX host

Regards

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is a limit of 127 virtual switches per ESX host

Regards

John

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks

And if anybody needs this information see in page 307 of Server Configuration Guide.

Thanks Again!

0 Kudos
vmrox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just wondering if this information is still accurate? The latest config max doco still states that the max number of vswitches per host is 127 (ref: )

However other sources state that it is 248 per physical host ("Flexible virtual switches. Scale up to handle more virtual machines. Virtual switches can be created with any number of ports from 8 to 1016, and up to 248 virtual switches are supported per host" - ref: )

Is it a case of what is actually possible v's what is recommended?

And what woud the answer be for the exam - stick to the Config Maximum answer (127)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I notified VMware's technical publications team about this. Thanks for letting us know. - Robert

Robert Dell'Immagine, Director of VMware Communities

0 Kudos
vmrox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No probs Robert...

So can you (or anyone) clarify my query re: what would be the answer on the exam?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have to imagine it's what's in the documentation, since that is what we run through our QA testing. The (higher) number in the data sheet is likely the theoretical maximum. I think that's correct, but I'm not in the product group, and they would have to say for sure. - Robert

Robert Dell'Immagine, Director of VMware Communities

0 Kudos