VMware Cloud Community
ccookemobile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Number Of Clients In VMWare vSphere Essentials Plus

Is there a limit to the number of virtual machines you can have in Essential plus? We are looking to virtualsie a really old system which contains a number of DOS 6.2 and very old Netware machines. Needless to say the memory, Disk and cpu requirements are very low. In total its about 40 machines but less than 10 are actual servers (the rest are dos and old xp desktops).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess the logic behind that number is when you go > 20 servers there's a need for more advanced management solutions, vMotion and HA.

And I don't think they had DOS or Netware systems in mind either Smiley Happy

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

there's no limitation on the number of VMs, vSphere 5 and later is only licensed per processor how you use those resources is up to you.

For more information see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ccookemobile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had assumed that was the case but in the blurb for essentials it says for virtualising 20 servers or less (this must be suggested maximum then). The physical machines we are looking to purchase have 2 x 6 Core 2.4 GHZ processors and 24GB of memory each.Considering the age of the infrasructure we are virtualising I think we can comfortably get 42 slots of 1GHZ CPU and 1.5GB memory and still be well in excess of the current physical values.

0 Kudos
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess the logic behind that number is when you go > 20 servers there's a need for more advanced management solutions, vMotion and HA.

And I don't think they had DOS or Netware systems in mind either Smiley Happy

0 Kudos