VMware Cloud Community
one3cap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newb VCB Question

Does anyobody have any good links or articles on VCB with syamntec backup exec?

Does my proxy server need to have enought local disk space to "mount" the vm's before the tape backup?

Does the VCB proxy need to be connect via FC to my FC SAN where my vms are?

I did find this:

Is this basically all I need to do to use VCB with symantec BE 11d?

I have never done this before as much lamen term help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi one3cap, to answer your questions individually:

1) Your VCB proxy needs enough space to hold the VMs only if you are doing image-level backups. File-level backups do not have any disk space requirement on the proxy.

2) Yes, the proxy does need to be connected to your SAN and have access to the VMFS LUNs if you want to perform LAN-free backups. You could use VCB to back up through the Service Console, which wouldn't require SAN connectivity, but this would not be "LAN-free", which is a major selling point of VCB.

3) The article you reference does detail most of the set up. The VCB integration with BackupExec is purely script-based and isn't that feature-rich. There is a new add-on that Symantec sells for BE 12.5 that is much more comprehensive, but it is also a bit more expensive.

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi one3cap, to answer your questions individually:

1) Your VCB proxy needs enough space to hold the VMs only if you are doing image-level backups. File-level backups do not have any disk space requirement on the proxy.

2) Yes, the proxy does need to be connected to your SAN and have access to the VMFS LUNs if you want to perform LAN-free backups. You could use VCB to back up through the Service Console, which wouldn't require SAN connectivity, but this would not be "LAN-free", which is a major selling point of VCB.

3) The article you reference does detail most of the set up. The VCB integration with BackupExec is purely script-based and isn't that feature-rich. There is a new add-on that Symantec sells for BE 12.5 that is much more comprehensive, but it is also a bit more expensive.

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit
0 Kudos