VMware Cloud Community
NOR68Cougar
Contributor
Contributor

Networks for separate clusters

We have an existing ESX 3.5 cluster with all networking in place (service console, vmotion, etc).

We will soon be adding another cluster to run VDI or View I believe it is now called.

The question is: Should we create separate VLAN's for this new cluster or could it run on the existing VLAN's created for the existing ESX cluster?

I thought it might be an issue to have VMotion for 2 clusters on the same network Vlan....or service console issues?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, two questions here really. Yes it will work on the existing VLANs, should you use the same VLANs though? It depends how security conscious you are, what sort of server you have running on your existing cluster, what level of risk you consider the VDI users, etc, but yes, from a technical perspective, you can use the same VLANs for the SC/VMotion it will work.

MrBiscuit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The question is: Should we create separate VLAN's for this new cluster or could it run on the existing VLAN's created for the existing ESX cluster?

There are some security standards (PCI etc) which require data from different security zones to be segregated, in which case you would need at least seperate vlans if not seperate network cabling.

I thought it might be an issue to have VMotion for 2 clusters on the same network Vlan....or service console issues?

There are no technical issues in having dissimilar clusters using the same subnet or vlan space.

In terms of general advice, unless you have a pressing reason to provision them on seperate networks, I encourage customers to keep them together to minimise the effort in swapping a server between clusters should capacity need to be moved around in the future.