VMware Cloud Community
mcdmagix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networks DNS as VM's ?

Forgive me if this has already been answered but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

I'm in the process of planning my Vi3 implementation and have read that there is a critical requirement for DNS when using Virtual Centre.

My initial intentions were to have 2x ESX hosts, each host will have an Microsoft Active Directory domain controller (as a VM) which maintains DNS for the network. Is having my only DNS servers virtualized going to be an issue for Virtual Center or any other Vi3 related communications?

Thank you.

Andrew.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only thing ESX needs name resolution for is vmotion/ha. Just make sure your hosts file includes entries for all your VM Hosts and your VirtualCenter, and you'll be fine to virtualize your AD.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes DNS is a critical service in terms of VIC and AD. You will need to make sure there is no single point of failure and consider the DNS service when patching ESX. There is no reason you couldn't put a copy of DNS on the VIC server and have it look locally on 127.0.0.1 so it could deal with VMotion Patch Manager etc. in the event DNS is not responding.

Hope that helps.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
mcdmagix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the very quick response. :smileygrin:

I was planning to put the VC server as a VM after reading some of the benefits of having it in a HA cluster. The VC database would be located on another VM, same esx host or another.

Would there be an issues in having the VC server on a Win2k3 Server which is domain connected running AD services which is an ESX VM?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only thing ESX needs name resolution for is vmotion/ha. Just make sure your hosts file includes entries for all your VM Hosts and your VirtualCenter, and you'll be fine to virtualize your AD.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is no issue with running it within a VM but you are putting your eggs in the basket should the physical box goes down. I normally would recommend an outside physical server running VirtualCenter and to be redudant, make it clustered based on Microsoft. If you are tending to put it within VM, definitely run it clustered based on Microsoft prefereably on two separete esx servers. Link to pdf to cluster http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_mscs.pdf.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sorry aguacero but...

I do not agree on the cluster suggestion. Clusters are an additional level of complexity and cost that usually is not required for most companies. I have done many. They are a pain and very difficult to trouble shoot. You cannot VMotion a cluster member.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

FYI: VCB cannot backup VMs that are clustered.

"Reading Is Fundamental" There is no limit to education.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos