VMware Cloud Community
Kev77
Contributor
Contributor

Netapp Dedup on VMFS

We are getting ready to put Exchange and SQL in VMware. We have not turned on data dedup on this particular vmfs volume. I was wondering if anyone has seen any issues with exchange or sql running in a vmfs volume that is deduped.

Thanks,

Kev

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I last spoke with Data Domain (a big provider of data de-duplication technology), they said not to put heavy I/O applications directly on the de-duplicated storage. I assume the same would be true for NetApp but I can't say for sure. I would speak with NetApp to find out if their devices can handle the high I/O requirements of Exchange and SQL before going forward.

I know that NetApp talks about customers running Exchange on their de-duplicated volumes but your I/O requirements might be too high. It pays to do some analysis before putting any real users on the system.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

While we are working on demoing the feature under primary storage for SQL and exchange we have not yet.

From my research it is really dependant on configuration of controlers (and number of PEM's) in relation to the commoness of blocks and type of access.

That seams vauge but the reason is fairly simple

Netapp allows big solid state caches (PEM's) of commonly accessed blocks, and their dedup is cache aware. That means that even heavy IO loads are good performers if the blocks are from cache or the shared blocks are low (or infrequently accessed)

I can tell you the primary canidate (both theirs and ours) for dedup is system drives as they afford the most advantage with the cache

Jered Rassier

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##
0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We use dedupe on SQL OS volumes only. On the other volumes you just do see a good enough dedupe ratio.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos