VMware Cloud Community
rickpo
Contributor
Contributor

NetApp vs Compellent???

All, I am at point of trying to make a decision between purchaing either a Compellent SAN solution or NetApp 3210 solution.  Each vender has nice features and both are coming in with good pricing at the moment. I am posting this question to all of those that have used and worked with either or both of these stoage solutions and have an opinion on which they prefer working with in a VMware environment.  Our initial storage needs will be about 10TB with the ability to grow to 30TB within the next year or two.

Thank you for your comments. If you can, be specific as to why or why not you prefer one over the other.

Rick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - I have used both and my recommendation is Compellent - not only do I find their technology to be at the top of the industry - managing data at the block which allows you to access all spindles in the storage pool.  Since they manage the data at the block level it allows them to place th blocks that are actively access on your fastest storage and hose that aren't can move to a lower tier (cheaper) storage. Thier support is some of the best I have seen (hopefully this will not change since they are being acquired by Dell) and their commitment to support their equipment so that to ugrade you will just have to replace components -

Just my two cents -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
liamp
Contributor
Contributor

Who did you ultimately go with?  Are you happy with your decision?

I'm at a similar decision point as well.

-Lia

0 Kudos