VMware Cloud Community
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Need to info on Intel Pro/1000 GT or MT or PT quad for 20 ESX hosts!

I'm working on a project to deploy 20 ESX hosts but getting the right NICs that performs good and reliable especially listed on HCL. It shows all Intel Pro/1000 GT-MT-PT are supports. Anyone familiar with NICs specifications what are the differences in this series and good price as well. I'm architect 10 ports per ESX hosts as always 2 on board plus 2 x quad NICs. I need 40 of these so can't be wrong! FYI: These will be on IBM x3650 hardware.

Questions:

This will be added on to existing ESX production hosts and new build as well. Anyone experience issues with this cards at all, any gotchas when power down ESX host and insert the card and it is functional or having issues with conflicting vmnics# such as service console or hardware not able to detect at all? I need to know some gotchas if you have any.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
20 Replies
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We use primarily the VT line but some PT in our older models. Both perform well though the VT has the edge in features I THINK it is dell only though (Some of the responses here seem to indicate that to be the fact)

For featureset I would look at the ET line as it is supposed to have the featureset of the VT as well.

I will note one thing while I love VT cards if you ever want to build out one of your hosts big iron there is NO windows support for the VT line (So little things like TEAMING are out). The windows default drivers do work just cant get some of the advanced features. We ran into this in one or two cases, thankfully we had some of the PT cards around which do have windows driver sets

Jered Rassier

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##
0 Kudos