VMware Cloud Community
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Need to info on Intel Pro/1000 GT or MT or PT quad for 20 ESX hosts!

I'm working on a project to deploy 20 ESX hosts but getting the right NICs that performs good and reliable especially listed on HCL. It shows all Intel Pro/1000 GT-MT-PT are supports. Anyone familiar with NICs specifications what are the differences in this series and good price as well. I'm architect 10 ports per ESX hosts as always 2 on board plus 2 x quad NICs. I need 40 of these so can't be wrong! FYI: These will be on IBM x3650 hardware.

Questions:

This will be added on to existing ESX production hosts and new build as well. Anyone experience issues with this cards at all, any gotchas when power down ESX host and insert the card and it is functional or having issues with conflicting vmnics# such as service console or hardware not able to detect at all? I need to know some gotchas if you have any.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looks like I might have to choose Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter for this project. Any comments folks?

Stefan-

I realize this is slightly off from what you are looking for, but we run IBM x3650's with the Intel Pro/1000 PT (duel) cards and they run fine. I would only assume that the quad version of these cards would work fine as well.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Looks like I might have to choose Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter for this project. Any comments folks?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

We are using here original Intel VT nics, but with Dell servers.

For your IBM servers you will need oem Intels (from IBM), I think.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm looking at the and wondering which one is better for IBM x3650, how much is it for Intel Quad VT (OEM) version? I got different prices for google search Smiley Sad I guess I have to order from IBM instead of online Smiley Happy Thanks ChristianZ.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

...but I don't see this adapter under IBM nics?!

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It only show on Intel section on the page. I'll call IBM to check out prices and availability as well.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Price in Eu/Germany ca. 300-350 EUR + VAT

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok, under Dell that is not there as well (not true - now it is there!!). I don't remember details now, but at that time there are problems with pt/mt adapters and therefore I choose the other (new) one.

Message was edited by: christianZ

Intel VT quad under Dell is there now !!

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

So how is VT working for you now? How you like it comparing to MT & PT? How many NICs do you have for your ESX hosts? I'm doing 10 ports for ESX hosts due to SC/VMotion/Backup/DMZ/Productions....and spare too.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should look intel cards with vmdq which are coming in q4 2008. dell has a quad port intel card. Read the following thread.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/959540#959540

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It sounds like a nice feature for 10GBe solutions as well, but just looking for 1GB for existing and new hosts build. Anything that works great and reliable in the market especially client is using IBM x3650. Any good recommendations or Intel Quad series folks?

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Aloha - I don't understand why some people need to feel warm and fuzzy having "spare NICs" Don't we buy these things to do something? If a need arises to redeploy a NIC, it's certainly easy enough to move VM's off it.

Bill

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ask your vendor for a dual or quad port networkcard with the intel chipset 82575 . This for 1 Gigabit ports and vmdq support.

The chipset 82598 is for 10 gigabit cards.

Dell has this network card

KB Articel

Look at the Video at youtube for vmdq

Intel Vmware World 2008 Sessions (look st the attached file

http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-2015;jsessionid=F0AF4AED3A1F2EAC8D378BBCDD7672A1

meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The chipset is the Intel® 82576

Look for Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter with feature vmdq

Productcode is E1G42ET

Intel® Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter

Productcode is E1G44ET

Overview Intel Server adapters

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Meistermn,

Out of the NICs listed above, which one is the cheapest and work with ESX 3.5 U2 and that you dont' have any problems with it? Prefer cheap and workable solution. Quad ports only.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Stefan-

I realize this is slightly off from what you are looking for, but we run IBM x3650's with the Intel Pro/1000 PT (duel) cards and they run fine. I would only assume that the quad version of these cards would work fine as well.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Stefan,

Pardon me for asking...but why the emphasis on cheap? You're deploying 20 hosts, the pNICs are a drop in the bucket for the overall price tag (not to mention the consulting fees - you've probably spent more consulting hours looking for "cheap" NICs than you will save your customer in the long run!). With a deployment of that scale, the important thing is to make sure that you've got a fully supportable solution. I'd suggest sitting down with your customer, explain the trade-offs of going with dual-port pNICs (getting six ports rather than 10) and quad-port. Also, show the costs associated with each choice and let your customer decide. It is, after all, their money and their solution.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I mean cheap in a reasonable price not to the extreme. We're using dual ports and works like a charm but those are running on physical exchange and oracle servers. We're planning to have fully redundant designs that's why 2 built in and 2 x quad ports for the combination i've mentioned and limited on PCI slots. Client doesn't want to be redesign once its deploy so guaranteed enough ports for all the network and redundancies they need.

I have deployed a lot of Dell PE 2950 & PE 6950s and those are rock solid and runs great. The client somehow got hook up with IBM x3650 its doing fine don't get me wrong but still prefer PE 2950. Anyways, IBM reseller hook them up with reasonable price for Quad port adapter so planning to deploy it asap.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

So far we have no problems with our VT adatpters (3 x Dell PE2950 esx hosts). We are using one quad adapter in each host (only 3 slots there and we need 2 iscsi hbas in each Esx host). As I wrote there were problems with the other quad adapters (for details search the forum) - but none with VT - therefore we decided to choose that one.

0 Kudos
davidthornton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone managed to get a E1G42ET or 44ET working with ESXi 4?

Update: I have now managed to do so after following these instructions.

0 Kudos