VMware Cloud Community
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need some help.. HA/DRS Question...

We have a planned data center outage coming up and I’m trying to think of a few ideas so I don’t need to power down all my VM’s to avoid a major mess. The Engineers need to update some cards in the core 6509 so all my connections from the Cisco 3700 switches back will be lost for 15 to 20 minutes and since I have 6 pNICs going to three different 3700 switches per ESX host it means HA/DRS should kick in. Problem is there will be no where to move VM’s to since every hosts network connection will be down….

So, I’m thinking since the SAN will not be affected and my VM’s will really be up should I just “disable” the HA/DRS feature on each cluster before the outage? I’m thinking that this will just isolate the hosts and the VM’s residing on them and when the host see the network drop they will just think they’re on and island and can’t really panic. Yeah, VirtualCenter will show them disconnected but once the network comes back to the switches they should reconnect.

Once the outage is over I can just re-enable the HA/DRS…

Thoughts? Anyone ever had to do this before? I would hate to power down 100’s of VM’s to avoid a major “panic”…

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, I agree disable HA, DRS should be ok to stay on. Once all network maintenance is done, enable HA on the cluster

heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Troy.....

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I would disable HA temporarily.

AWo

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=