VMware Cloud Community
razar72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need some config confirmation please....

We're building out a small 2 node ESXi 3.5 cluster with a VC server. All 3 servers have 6 nic 1Gb ports. For the ESXi hosts I'm looking at setting them up with 3 vSwitches, each using 2 pNICs.

1st for console & Vmotion teamed on a private vLan

2nd for NFS storage teamed on a private vLan

3rd for VM's on the production user network.

As I understand it the console, vmotion, and storage pNICs will all require IP's. As for the VC server, other than being on the production network I'm assuming it needs to be on the console, vmotion, and storage vLan's as well?

How far off am I?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That looks pretty good, you have redundancy on all levels. You might want to do this for vswitch0

vSwitch0

Service console (primary) / vMotion (secondary) -- vmnic0

vMotion (primary) / service console (secondary) --- vmnic 2

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The phyasical NICs do not reuire IP addresses - these are assigned at the vmkernel port for vmotion and IP Storgae, the service console port for the service console abd these need to be on the approriate network segments/vlans - for more information on networking check out the configuration guide - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_3_server_config.pdf

If you find this or any orther answer useful please consiger awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
razar72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, so now I'm getting confused as to how to best utilize my NIC's

how's this....

vSwitch0: Service Console primary (vmnic0), Service Console Secondary (vmnic2)

vSwitch1: VM network (vmnic4, vmnic5)

vSwitch2: VMotion (vmnic1), NFS (vmnic3)

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That looks pretty good, you have redundancy on all levels. You might want to do this for vswitch0

vSwitch0

Service console (primary) / vMotion (secondary) -- vmnic0

vMotion (primary) / service console (secondary) --- vmnic 2

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
razar72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I like that even better.

thanks

0 Kudos
razar72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

to take this to the next level as far as IP's go I'll need them for the service console Ports, vMotion Ports, and the storage Ports correct?

And as far as the vCenter server goes, it just needs to be on the same net as the console ports right? Or is there more to it than that?

thanks for all the help so far.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful