VMware Cloud Community
ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Need Recommendations: New ESX 3 implementation on Stand-alone server or Separate Servers?

Hi,

This is going to be one of those questions that has been answered a lot, I'm sure. I just can't seem to find any results when doing a search on the subject, for my specific needs.

Anyway, I wanted to go with a shared-storage set up, but I just can't afford it right now. So, I've decided to go with a Single-Server or Multiple-Less-Powerful-Server implementation, and I need your recommendation. Obviously, I'm a newbie, but I believe ESX 3/3i on v3.0.2 or v3.5 is going to be my best bet.

So, here are my questions:

1. Should I go with the single-server or multi-server set up?

2. Should I go with a stand-alone ESX set up or go with the VI3 Foundation configuration?

3. Which Dell server hardware (only b/c it's cheaper) should I go with, along with specifications? Looking for MOST bang for the buck, but would like hardware to TOTAL no more than $10-15K.

Here is my estimated server list, when all is said and done (about 5 servers exist right now). There are only about 10-30 users expected in the first year of use.

1. Domain Controller

2. Domain Controller

3. Exchange Server

4. Exchange Server

5. CiscoWorks LMS

6. Cisco Security Manager

7. Public Web Server

8. Sharepoint Server

9. File Server

10. Cisco Access Contol Server

11. Cisco Access Control Server

12. DEMO SBS 2K3 Server

13. DEMO W2K3 Server

14. MS SQL Server

15. MS Office Communication Server

16. ConnectWise Server

17. Backup Exec Server

I REALLY appreciate your help!

Thank you!!!!

Ed

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Should I go with the single-server or multi-server set up?

Hi Ed, a multi server setup is beneficial especially if you have shared storage. With the VMs you list below and 10 - 30 users, you could just get away with a single server. Something like a Dell 2900 with 2 quad core CPUs / 16 GB memory and 8 to 10 hard drives. The advantage of the 2900 over the rack mount models is that you can add up to 10 drives. RAID 10 would give you better performance over RAID 5 and you should get as many 15 K drives as you can afford. If you get fewer larger drivers, you could end up with an I/O bottle neck give the types of servers you plan to run.

The downside with a single server would be that if it went down, everything is down until you can get it back up. If that wouldn't be acceptible, then you would have to get a second server that would be capable to hosting all your critical VMs.

Should I go with a stand-alone ESX set up or go with the VI3 Foundation configuration?

See the link below for more info on VI3 Foundation, but Foundation adds VirtualCenter which with a single server you can like without. With a single server it makes tasks like cloning new VMs, managing user permissions easier, but with your configuration that may not be that important.

Which Dell server hardware (only b/c it's cheaper) should I go with, along with specifications? Looking for MOST bang for the buck, but would like hardware to TOTAL no more than $10-15K.

With the 2900 you can get it with 2 x quad core processors, at least 16 GB RAM and up to 10 drives. As mentioned earlier, I would get as many drives as you can and at 15 K (rather than 10 K drives). RAID 10 with 10 x 146 GB drives would give you around 700 GB for VM storage. I would also add some NICs so that you end up with 4 ports.

http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/foundationpromo.html

Question for you - are you planning to attach a tape device to ESX (i.e. you mention a Backup Exec server below). There are some restrictions on how you can attach a tape drive to ESX for a VM to use.

ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Thanks for your response. I definitely want to get 16GB or more per server (whether a single or multi), but I read that Foundation only supports up to 8GB per server? If I could choose between a multiple, fast processors, more memory or more 15K disks, what would you recommend as a general rule after looking at my server list?

Also, I do want a tape drive, but I'm not opposed to an external one if that matters. What's the issue here, anyway?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The 8 GB limit will be gone with the next version of starter. You should also be able to get some good pricing on ESX standard from Dell (far below the retail price), but given the feature set of ESX 3.5 / 3i, you may still be able to stick with the starter/foundation edition. Given that you have 3 database type servers (1 SQL / 2 exchange) and a file server, I would focus on disk I / O.

To attach a tape drive to ESX for VM use, you must use an Adaptec SCSI card and for a library you must use a multi-target device (not multi-LUN). See page 2 here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_backup_guide.pdf

ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Thanks for the info.

Do you (or anyone else) know whether there any issues when using an internal tape drive? Do the same SCSI requirements listed apply to internal drives?

Ed

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Ed, you would have the same requirements for an internal tape drive.

0 Kudos
ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Do you have any suggestions on which Adaptec SCSI adapter to usespecificallyfor tape backup purposes? I'm looking for a suggested model number here from the I/O compatibility list.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Ed

I have another alternative for you which also gives you some resiliance, buy 2 Dell 2900s with as much disk and memory as you can afford and get yourself a Lefthand VSA (virutual storage appliance) this will give you the ability to utilise local storage as if it was an iSCSI node have a looksee at thier site for futher info. the technolgy is very interesting.

PS I do not have any attachment to LHN. but I have downloaded a VSA and it does appear to work.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos