VMware Cloud Community
SgRddY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NIC Teaming for iSCSI

Hello,

I am using ESX4.0 on Dell r710 and EqualLogic iSCSI SAN. Currently, I have my iSCSI setup on 2 NIC's for Load Balancing with "Route based on the originating virtual port ID". Is this the correct way of setting up Load Balancing to archive higher bandwidth for iSCSI? Should I use another method? It does not seem to be doing the load balancing too well because it seems like it is only using one NIC at a time. I have pushed the system very hard to see if the second NIC would kick in but it didn't. I have Enabled the Load Balancing option for the iSCSI vSwitch.

Is it better if I setup 2 separate iSCSI connections to the SAN for better bandwidth? Does this method supported?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Load balancing only gives you a higher performance ratio if you are generating more than one TCP conversation. It balances conversations between links. As you are having a single conversation with your host ISCSI traffic it will only ever use one link.

Now The way to generate more than one conversation in the ESX4.0 world is MPIO. you can do this on the same virtual switch (and it SHOULD load balance them) or even better put them on seperate virtual switches and follow the posted information about designing a robust redundant ISCSI network

Jered Rassier

*EqualLogic Technical certified professional

*Dell Enterprise Foundations v.2 Certified professional

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The rules of thumb for NFS and iSCSI networks are that use at least two NICs for failover and load balancing and also connected to two physical switches that are stacked and configured for VLAN & trunkings for effective communications and the method "route base on orgininating port ID" should be good to go. If you have large iSCSI networks and have at least 4 physical switches, I would create two seperate stack so that you are not affected when you need to do firmware updates/patches. For best designs on networking, check out Ken's Networking debate pretty good to know if you're not familiar with the concept and design at and VMware iSCSI Design & Implementation guide

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Load balancing only gives you a higher performance ratio if you are generating more than one TCP conversation. It balances conversations between links. As you are having a single conversation with your host ISCSI traffic it will only ever use one link.

Now The way to generate more than one conversation in the ESX4.0 world is MPIO. you can do this on the same virtual switch (and it SHOULD load balance them) or even better put them on seperate virtual switches and follow the posted information about designing a robust redundant ISCSI network

Jered Rassier

*EqualLogic Technical certified professional

*Dell Enterprise Foundations v.2 Certified professional

0 Kudos
SgRddY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the information guys. jayctd, MPIO is what I am looking for to setup. I've been searching for instructions on how to setup MPIO on ESX4 and EqualLogic without any luck.

Can someone please point me to the right documents?

Thanks.

0 Kudos