VMware Cloud Community
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

NFS/iSCSI vmkernel ports - different vlans?

I have a question, if you have already vmkernel port defined for NFS (in vlanX), and if you would like to set iSCSI vmkernel port/ports on the same physical nic, then would you give this iSCSI nic the same vlan as NFS, or vlanY for iSCSI?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewHardy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would create different dvPG's (and VLANs) for the traffic types. It's straightforward and it will stand the test of time and account for changes in your iSCSI environment. You may add NICs later, you may seperate the iSCSI network into a back-end switch.

My situation is a little different to yours I have NFS traffic coming via vPC's over Nexus 2148s (thence 1000V) and iSCSI traffic coming via 3750s (thence 1000V). The NFS traffic is using vPC and the iSCSI traffic is using MAC pinning and iSCSI MPIO. Very different profiles. A while ago I would have found myself in a similar situation to yours and if I had taken a simple approach of sharing the same VLAN I would be regretting it and disentangling it right about now Smiley Happy

Andrew.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
julianwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use the same vlan on the same vmkernel port for any vmkernel traffic including NFS, iSCSI and VMotion.

The only reason I could think for using different vlans for iSCSI and NFS is if you are using IP addresses to restrict connectivity for NFS.

I would keep it simple and use the same vlan / port group for NFS and iSCSI

http://WoodITWork.com
AndrewHardy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would create different dvPG's (and VLANs) for the traffic types. It's straightforward and it will stand the test of time and account for changes in your iSCSI environment. You may add NICs later, you may seperate the iSCSI network into a back-end switch.

My situation is a little different to yours I have NFS traffic coming via vPC's over Nexus 2148s (thence 1000V) and iSCSI traffic coming via 3750s (thence 1000V). The NFS traffic is using vPC and the iSCSI traffic is using MAC pinning and iSCSI MPIO. Very different profiles. A while ago I would have found myself in a similar situation to yours and if I had taken a simple approach of sharing the same VLAN I would be regretting it and disentangling it right about now Smiley Happy

Andrew.

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think I will use your way, and separate iSCSI/NFS with 2 vlans.

Thanks

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that is the one of the better ways. the vlan would minimize the network broadcast and hence ensure better performance and also better security (no one can sniff the data packet easily)

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

0 Kudos