VMware Cloud Community
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Multiple Datastores on Local SCSI disks?

Hello All,

Is it possible to have muliple datastores on 1 VMFS partition on local scsi disk? or do you have to partition multiple VMFS partitions at install?

I have 1 VMFS 500GB partiton but it doesn't allow me to chop it up into multiple datatsores?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The "fb" partition created during the install is the VMFS datastore. You could add another disk and use fdisk no problem.

To do what you want I suppose you would need to delete the existing partition and then use the free space to create 2 or more new partitions which could then be formated with VMFS. This is an intresting question so I thought I would look around (Not interesting enough to trash my test server, but interesting). I found this posting that might be of use

Think I might give this whirl next time I have a system not yet turned over to the client Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: Lightbulb for Spelling and clarity

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The "fb" partition created during the install is the VMFS datastore. You could add another disk and use fdisk no problem.

To do what you want I suppose you would need to delete the existing partition and then use the free space to create 2 or more new partitions which could then be formated with VMFS. This is an intresting question so I thought I would look around (Not interesting enough to trash my test server, but interesting). I found this posting that might be of use

Think I might give this whirl next time I have a system not yet turned over to the client Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: Lightbulb for Spelling and clarity

0 Kudos