VMware Cloud Community
Grax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VM to another ESX Server

Currently running ESX Standard and have brought on-line a new ESX Server. Can anyone tell me the process for moving my VM's to the new ESX server? I'm a little surprised VMware doesn't make this a rather simple process.

I understand using command line tools (cp, mv, scp) should not be used as there's the possibility for corruption in the "-flat.vmdk" files.

Looking for more details than just a general overview of how to do it.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can also use WinSCP or Veeam FastSCP which is must faster comparing to WinSCP. Drag and drop all the VMs folder and files to remote ESX hosts and register the .vmx according to instructions mentioned above.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is recommended that you use "vmkfstools -i" to clone the files to the other server. But personally I've never seen corruptions with just using cp, so if i were you id just try it with the cp command and see how you go.

Power off vm

cp /vmfs/volume/virtualMachine/* /vmfs/newvolume/virtualMachine

Register the VM on the new server

vmware-cmd -s register /newvolume/virtualmachine/virtualmachine.vmx

(if this command fails, ensure you are using the full unix device name and not the nice to read human version, it should look similar to "44bde519-a5686029-be80-0016357c835d")

restart the hostd agent so the update is visible in virtual centre ie:

service mgmt-vmware restart

And you should be good to go

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can also use WinSCP or Veeam FastSCP which is must faster comparing to WinSCP. Drag and drop all the VMs folder and files to remote ESX hosts and register the .vmx according to instructions mentioned above.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Grax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok so how do I mount the file system of the other server, so I can do a CP?

Andrew

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ahh sorry I thought you had shared storage connected to each ESX server. In that case i would just use Veem Fast SCP as suggested above. It will be much simpler. It's an excellent free product available here:

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-fastscp.html

MrBiscuit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Grax,

You might find it easier to use VMware converter instead of the commandline to move machines between ESX hosts with local storage. You would ideally have both ESX hosts on the same subnet, and a windows workstation or server on that subnet also. You simply download and install converter from the vmware.com downloads section, then when you run the application it has a straight forward wizard to import the VM.

Handily, you can also save a copy of the VM as a backup if you want to, but most people simply suck it out of one server and push it directly to another.

0 Kudos
kingsfan01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should be able to browse into the datastore where the moved vm is located on the new ESX server, select the folder containing the VM and then right click on the virtualmachinename.vmx file and select "Add to Inventory". Once added, the vm should appear under the ESX host and you should be able to boot the vm.

Tyler

0 Kudos
Grax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fast SCP isn't working. It connects to both servers but when I go to copy it "starts" the copy but does nothing.

The output window shows:

Preparing scripts

Logged into server using one-time login name **** and password ****

Browsing folder: 192.168.10.41./

Items total - 4: Folders (0), Folder Links (0), Files (3), File Links (0), Executable Files (1), Executable File Links (0), Other Items (0)

Server IP: 192.168.10.41. Port: 2500

Browsing folder: 192.168.10.16./

Items total - 5: Folders (1), Folder Links (0), Files (3), File Links (0), Executable Files (1), Executable File Links (0), Other Items (0)

ERROR: (CANNOT CONNECT SOCKET) CONNECTION TIMED OUT

Operation canceled

Starting data transfer:

From: 192.168.10.16/vmimages/iso images/Microsoft Windows 2003 Standard Server R2 - Disc 1.iso

To: 192.168.10.41/vmimages/iso images/Microsoft Windows 2003 Standard Server R2 - Disc 1.iso

Connection closed by server 192.168.10.41

Removing file or folder - 192.168.10.41/vmimages/iso images/Microsoft Windows 2003 Standard Server R2 - Disc 1.iso: OK!

Browsing folder: 192.168.10.41/vmimages/iso images/

Items total - 0: Folders (0), Folder Links (0), Files (0), File Links (0), Executable Files (0), Executable File Links (0), Other Items (0)

Andrew

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Take a look at the follwing Knowledge Base article

"Manual Migration Procedure for Moving a Virtual Machine on ESX Server"

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/10102

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Looks like your SFTP traffic is getting blocked. Are you on the same subnet as your ESX servers? Do you have any firewall devices between your machine and the ESX servers?

You will also need to open up the ESX firewall to allow this access:

esxcfg-firewall -o 2500,tcp,in,FastSCP

Then restart the FW service.

service firewall restart

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Seems like you have a lot of options to start with but if you need further knowledge in ESX world than visit , and of course google and vmware.com is the way to find your most precise information. Even though people have different preferences to their own solutions. I prefer Veeam due to fast transfer of huge .vmdk files across but you must have firewall port open as mentioned above.

mount /mnt/vmstorage ->mount datastore command

umount /mnt/vmstorage ->unmount datastore command

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

0 Kudos