VMware Cloud Community
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Moving VM from one VC to another VC

HI,

I need to move VM from one location to another. Both of these locations have their own VC Server. I need to know, what can be the most efficient way to move them?

Few options, that I can think of are

1) Move the VM via SCP

2) Do lun mirroing across 2 locations

3) Copy VM on the ftp server OR file server and then download it from the remote location.

Any ideas/suggetions?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

All 3 of those are viable solutions, but performance will always depend on the variables

e.g. comms link, san controller (speed of mirroring), servers doing the SCP copy.

If you are going to do a file copy, I suggest using FastSCP from Veeam. Its v.quick.

Another solution could be to do a backup and restore.

I personally have done this with FastSCP without any issues.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what about VMware Conveter?

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Not sure, how can I get this done with VMware converter ?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

On your target VC, run the Converter and choose physical machine.

Then run through the migration wizard.

Beware though, this will create a new virtual machine at destination rather than a 'move' of VM. (So things like mac address will be different).

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would enable the built in ftp on ESX server at location 1 and SSH into ESX location 2 and use the ESX ftp client to transfer the files directly to the ESX. This way you wont have to put the files on any temporary storage.

0 Kudos