VMware Cloud Community
coldaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VM Log Files

NetApp suggests moving VM swapfiles and logs to a different datastore from the primary vmdk file(s) so that you can take snapshots of only the data that matters. Note I am not talking about the guest's pagefile. They give a step-by-step for moving the swapfile but give no instructions for moving the VM's log files. Is their a document that gives these instructions? P.S. if it is in the standard manuals be gentle <g>. For reference, NetApp's suggestions are in the below paper:

NETWORK APPLIANCE AND VMWARE VIRTUAL INFRASTRUCTURE 3 STORAGE

BEST PRACTICES

Pg. 33

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

You can go on the VM folder and edit the *.vmx file. Find the line refering log path and change it. You can also use a script to automate this because it can be long depend the number of VM that you have.

ctfoster
Expert
Expert

Before you start moving stuff about this recent thread may be of interest with regards to vswap location - particularly rparkers response.

coldaddy
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find a line in my VM's vmx file that defines the log path. Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

If you are running ESX 3.5/VC 2.5, the swapfile location is a host and cluster setting. You can set the cluster to use either the VM's directory, or tell it to ask the host where to put the file. If you choose the second option, go to the Configuration tab for each host and specify which datastore should hold the swap files for the VMs it is running -- many people use local storage for the swapfiles in an NFS environment -- more for performance reasons than the snapshot reason. Plus, it gives some use for that extra 100 GB local storage in the ESX host Smiley Happy

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
coldaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Doug but I am not having an issue moving the swapfile. It is the VMWare logs I want to move. I can't seem to find a configuration which lets me point the VM's log files to be written in a different path.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

Its the workingDir=<> parameter . Virtual Center manages the virtual machine while it's powered on and running. If you to power it down, remove it from inventory, then make the changes to the VMX, then add it back to the inventory your changes should stick.

0 Kudos
coldaddy
Contributor
Contributor

I broke down and called VMWare support. They referred me to a kb article which gave the instructions...clearly my Google searches were inadequate Smiley Happy

Article:

Pertinent section:

h3.

-

Changing the Virtual Machine's Log File Location on a GSX Server for Linux Host or ESX Server System

For a virtual machine on an ESX Server system or a GSX Server for Linux host, add the following line to the virtual machine's configuration file:

log.filename = "/tmp/vm1.log"

In the above line, the log file for this virtual machine is written to /tmp and is named vm1.log.

-

I had seen the log.filename entry in my VM's config file but did not realize I simply needed to enter the UUID-type path I wanted before the log name. Thanks VMWare support!

Steve

Message was edited by: Ken.Cline to shorten the URL

0 Kudos