VMware Cloud Community
nitin_m
Contributor
Contributor

Move VMWARE machines

Hello

We are planning to use iSCSI target and therefore would like to move away from DAS. Currently, we have approximately 10 XP machines and 3 Domain controllers on this particular ESX.

What is the best way to move?

a) Use Vmware converter. (I m afraid on using it on domain contollers - Should I domote the DC, move it and again promote them? - Is it possible?)

b) Use Virtual Center - We dont have license. Use the eval version and move (partial cheating - but.....)

c) Copy the VMDK?

d) What is Storage motion? Can I use this in this case?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Use Virtual Center (you could use Storage Vmotion) if you have ESX 3.5. Don't be afraid of moving a DC VM - you are only moving the virtual machine, not making changes to the domain etc (power if off however).

Storage vmotion is the moving of the virtual disks (vmdk's) assigned to a running vm from one location to another. For example from DAS to iSCSI shared storage.

If you copy the vmdk, you would then need to change various files for the VM so the correct datastore path etc is set.

Don't demote a DC and then promote it for a case of simply moving the virtual machine.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are worried about doing the move you can clone the existing machine to a new area of storage this will preserve all the setting and give you a roll back capabilty if required. Storage Vmotion will require that both storage devices are presented and is then a simple task (basically agree to move the location of the files). Alternatively use VMware convertor if you have any requirement to resize the any of the drives (free unused space- extend disks etc)

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
nitin_m
Contributor
Contributor

ESX3i is actually 3.5 right?

So, my option of using Virtual Center (eval) to do this change is the best?

I have seen people mentioning stoarge vmotion GUI - Does it plug in the Virtual Infrastructure client?(without VC). Will that solve my problem?

(I am guessing storage vmotion is nothing but shutting down VM, then moving all files of VM, and then changing the pointers- actually - one can do this manually - if one uses Veam tools)

0 Kudos
nitin_m
Contributor
Contributor

I have never used VC - Cloning is feature of VC?

We use VIClient to maintain our esx

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

from within the VI client right click the VM, select clone and you will have the option to change the storage location, you should see all the storage currently presented to the host and can clone the VM to this storage. THis will be an exact replica so you can check all functionality is OK and if not you will still have the old VM to roll back to.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> a) Use Vmware converter. (I m afraid on using it on domain contollers - Should I domote the DC, move it and again promote them? - Is it possible?)

Why are you afriad? If they are DC, and you are MOVING them, they are on the same subnet, they should have static IP, so what's the problem? you should not have to touch dcpromo, just power them off, move them, power them back on.

0 Kudos
nitin_m
Contributor
Contributor

I dont have "clone" when I right click

0 Kudos