VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitoring ESX Physical Host

Another silly question perhaps. I've got a test box in and have installed the ESX demo.

So far so good, bizarrely the only thing I got stuck on was getting the time right (UTC vs. local time vs. HW Clock etc.) but I seem to be there now and am running VM's pretty much with the default settings beyond changing the RAM allocation.

Something occurred to me. Suppose my physical host has a hardware failure/problem.

It's a Proliant so under Windows the monitoring agents would email me or something would be in the Event Logs.

What happens on ESX server?

TIA.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
waynegrow
Expert
Expert

There are supported agents for each vendor (check the compatibility list for HP). We use IBM, and director agents in our hosts.

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I feel very dumb right now - didn't think to look on the HP site as I still need to drum it into my head that ESX is an OS in its own right!!

cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
sumeet_khokhani
Contributor
Contributor

Yes ESX is kind of OS on its own. It is NOT windows based so you can't have Event Viewer. You have something called 'Syslog' which is a UNIX thing similar to Event Viewer in Windows.

So to wrap things up, if you ESX host has some hardware problems, it will be logged down by the Syslog daemon on the ESX host itself (provided syslogd is running).

0 Kudos
billbradley
Contributor
Contributor

Use an ESX monitoring solution like eG Enterprise - http://www.eginnovations.com/web/virtualization-monitoring.htm

0 Kudos