VMware Cloud Community
keirelan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mixed Datacenter

I am currently running VC 2 and two ESX 3 servers in production. I am getting ready to setup a developement lab with two ESX servers and Lab Manager. I am planning on upgrading production to ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 in two to three months. That being said I would like to setup the new dev cluster as ESX 3.5. My question is this, if I upgrade my existing VC server to 2.5, so that I can have the dev cluster under it, can I run my leave production cluster at 3.01 for a few months? The reason for the delay is I want to do clean upgrades of my production ESX servers and I just don't have time to schedule it right now.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chandlm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can manage older hosts with VC 2.5. I currently have 8 ESX 3.5 hosts and a single 3.0.1 host being managed this way. You may want to make sure you have current patches in place for the 3.0.1 hosts but I don't know of any specific issues (mine isn't patched, but I'm not using HA/DRS on that host either, it is separate from all others).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chandlm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can manage older hosts with VC 2.5. I currently have 8 ESX 3.5 hosts and a single 3.0.1 host being managed this way. You may want to make sure you have current patches in place for the 3.0.1 hosts but I don't know of any specific issues (mine isn't patched, but I'm not using HA/DRS on that host either, it is separate from all others).

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I would try to upgrade my ESX 3.0.2 Update 1 rather than ESX 3.0.1 version. Virtual Center 2.5 should work with older version as well, make sure to backup your VC database and upgrade ESX host and VC to the latest 3.5 version (or wait several more weeks until ESX 3.5 Update 1) issues has been cleared than you can do fresh install on development ESX 3.5 Update 1 (it includes all latest patches)

1. Backup your database

2. Upgrade virtual center server to VC 2.5

3. Fresh install ESX 3.5 hosts and add them to VC server

4. Mask your LUN to see existing LUNs and start migration of ESX 3.0.1 VMs and than upgrade the rest of ESX 3.0.1 hosts or fresh install until its completed.

WARNING: fresh install, you MUST remove HBA connections from the server to prevent from accidentally wipe out the SAN data. Use www.xtravirt.com guide how to disable HBA driver modules from loading if you lazy to remove HBA connection. Make sure to plan and read a little bit before doing live production.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA