VMware Cloud Community
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating guests from one host to another

We have several ESX 3.0.1 hosts, a ESX 3.5 host, and VC 2.5. No SAN.

I am looking to migrate various guest OSes (Window/Linux) from the ESX 3.0.1 hosts to 3.5

I've looked at which didnt have this as a scenario.

What is the best approach to migrating the guests. I'm quite new to ESX, so as much detail would be greatly appreciated.

If the comments were useful, please consider awarding points for helpful or correct. Thanks - SA -
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Long as you are using Virtual Center, and the hosts are in the same datacentre and on the same subnet network - you can use VC to migrate the guests, by simply right click on the guest and using migrate wizard.

Or, if you don't use VC - can just move the guest VM files to the other host and recreate the VM using the configuration and data files there Smiley Happy

P.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Long as you are using Virtual Center, and the hosts are in the same datacentre and on the same subnet network - you can use VC to migrate the guests, by simply right click on the guest and using migrate wizard.

Or, if you don't use VC - can just move the guest VM files to the other host and recreate the VM using the configuration and data files there Smiley Happy

P.

0 Kudos