Im thinking Platespin PowerConvert.

Cheers,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I haven't personally done a p2v on a SBS but I can't believe it will be any different from a Windows 2003 server. If you just stick with the common p2v best practices I'm pretty sure it will go just fine with no hickups.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

SBS 2003 contains multible MS services, AD, Exchange, ISA, Sharepoint. Actually, it's not recommended to P2V these services,

1. Domain Controller contains: SYSVOL which is the Domain Database

2. Exchange Server conatains: .edb and .stm Database "It's not recommended to convert it.

Better thing to do:

• Build an ESX3.5i

• Create a new VM as an ADC and make it part of the exsisting domain.

• Tranfere FSMO roles to the new ADC

• Build an Exchange server and move all the mailboxes from SBS 2003.

• Build an ISA Server and move all your communication to that server including your publishing and Natting Rules.

Do the same for other multible services that are hosted on the SBS 2003

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although it might not be best practice, it does work. I had to do a P2V of a SBS2003 server, no questions asked ... I disabled all services that were not needed, disabled exchange to, and did the migration, it went slow, but it went. The SBS is now running on VMware ESX 3.5 without issues.

Now the company that has done this, is planning on migrating to seperate servers soon (seperate Exchange, DC etc ...), but needed the server that SBS was running on (being a small company and budget wise).

Anyway, just telling this story because I know it can work, would I reccomend it, well ... That's something else Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
pcaro
Contributor
Contributor

A good practice is to create a new VM and carry out the procedure for migration of HW, although the P2V does not usually give problems, everything depends on the volume of data.

Check this link...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc747454.aspx

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

While I'll agree not to p2v a domain controller, people p2v all the other servers/services with no issues. Exchange obviously has its own risks and you should shut down the exchange services before you do the p2v, then again you could do a cold p2v and it wouldn't matter. Like other posters have said it can be done with no problems.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos