VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Measuring IOPS?

I'm trying to use the HP/ESX sizer tool and would like to be clear on what it is expecting for average/peak IOPs.

When I was sizing a physical exchange box it was a case of assuming a baseline IOPs for each Exchange User and comparing this total requirement against the likely IOPS of your chosen solution.

With ESX is it simply a case of using Performance Monitor to measure Disk Transfers/Sec?

If so would it be logical or physical that would yield the best figures?

TIA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

Disk Transfers/sec. It depends a bit on your config but phsyical should give you the whole picture. If you have multiple physical "drives" then you will want to add the numbers together.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can not measure your physical esx setup - the console itself is somehow virtualized.

You should use at monitor that runs under that os that you are willing to be used.

I would prefer iometer - since you can specify different io load's

Regards Spex

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry poor explanation on my part.

I want to measure IOPS on existing physical Windows boxes to use the HP/ESX sizer tool and I'm unclear which counters I would use in Windows Performance Monitor (some say logical some say physical).

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

Disk Transfers/sec. It depends a bit on your config but phsyical should give you the whole picture. If you have multiple physical "drives" then you will want to add the numbers together.

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for that.

So at a basic level I'll monitor physical transfers/sec as well a total network bytes sent/rec and processor utilization.

So far the sizer is agreeing with my suspicion that "one big box" is enough in terms of performance (ignoring redundancy issues).

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does anyone have any pointers to what sort of assumptions to make about what sort of IOPs different drive types are capable of?

I'm looking at a Fujitsu Fibrecat SX80, which claims up to 100,000 IOPs, which I would assume is based around it having 1gb of cache per controller?

Basically I'm running Performance Monitor on my physical boxes to try and get a feel for average/peak disk transfers/sec but similarly I need to know what the spindles in the SAN I'm looking at are likely to be capable of.

The Fibrecat's take SAS over FC drives, 10k or 15k.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

As a general rule, for random I/O, 10K drives are about 120 I/O per second and 15K is 180. For sequential 10K is about 290 IO/sec and 15K is 430 IO/sec. These are the top end numbers. Expect to see about 80% of those numbers.

RAID types will impact what the total number is for your array. As an example RAID 5 is very good for reading because you can utilize each drive head on each drive of the array. A write though on a RAID 5 array is very expensive as 4 operations are required to write the data and then calculate and write parity.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks VirtualNoitall.

My current thinking is that I would want at least one physical RAID1/10 and at least one physical RAID5 array on the SAN so I could split out the IO intensive/less intensive VM's.

Of course it gets interesting when you're considering virtualizing both SQL and Progress Smiley Happy

0 Kudos