VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Managing reporting scripts that are emailed from ESX 3.5 - disk space consumed from html reports etc

I've just implemented three great scripts on our ESX servers. They are....

SnapHunter - this sends an email daily reporting on sizes of snapshots, what VM's have snapshots etc

ESX Health Script - general log information, patch level etc

VMFS disk space - current free space, total vmfs size etc

All these scripts are fantastic!!

From my understanding of the SnapHunter script - the log file is deleted at the end of the scipt after emailing it?

And for the vmfs disk space script - this is just a log file that is overwritten and the contents is the message body for the email?

As for the ESX Health Check script - the html report is kept at /var/log/esx_healthcheck.........html - these aren't deleted....

How do you manage this? Do you have a script that deletes these html reports weekly? Do you only run your esx health check monthly?? - If this is not managed.... the free space can easily be reduced due to not managing these reports.

Any input would be great

0 Kudos
1 Reply
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've sorted the ESX health Check script - added a line in the script to delete the html file after emailing it.

I'm still interested in any space that might be taken up by scheduling the scripts with crontab and emailing?

0 Kudos