VMware Cloud Community
jboardman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MSA 1000 Question for SAN newby

Hello,

I work for a small company with limited funds for building a SAN infrastructure. I currently have put together one HP DL380 G5 with 16GB RAM an HBA and 5 network cards running ESX Foundation 3.5 update 3. This server is connected to a Brocade Silkworm 200e which is connected to an MSA 1000 with one controller and one empy slot for a possilble second controller with 14 72GB drives. I have backupexec backing up data and ESX Ranger backing up VMs. I have an extra Fiber card for the server off line (I am not worried about taking down the network to install a failed card) I have extra GBICS for the fiber switch and extra fiber cables. This server will house about 15 VMs - We are small and the IO is not too much.

My question is what happens if the MSA 1000 controller module dies? Do I have to resore LUNS from scratch and restore from backups? Can I put another module in the second bay as an active/passive config? Can I buy a second controller and will the luns sill be there when the failed one is replaced? Any information on strategy here is appreciated. We are small and need to watch expenses and are willing to give up high availability for a simple safe solution. I hope I ave givien enough informaltion. Thank you.

Regards,

JB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Spex is absolutelly right, if you continue with just one controller and if it fails you can just swap with a new one and all the information will be taken fron the disks, if you put another controller in your MSA then i recommend you to flash the controllers to firmware version 7.xx that allows an Active/Active configuration Smiley Happy

Regards,

Goodspeed

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In theory you should be able to continue with a second controller, because the config of the array is stored on each disk.

If you plan to use the second controller I would setup an active active config with the lates firmware from HP 7.0 that supports this setup.

The msa1xxx has not a good reputance in hosting vmware storeage, despite its certified. Also Its not easy to monitor hardware of your msa from esx.

In your case I would think about using local storage within your DL380G5. Using 140 or 300 Gbyte 15K sas disk that would be easy to handle and should be enough for your needs.

Regards

Spex

0 Kudos
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Spex is absolutelly right, if you continue with just one controller and if it fails you can just swap with a new one and all the information will be taken fron the disks, if you put another controller in your MSA then i recommend you to flash the controllers to firmware version 7.xx that allows an Active/Active configuration Smiley Happy

Regards,

Goodspeed

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
jboardman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

gf

0 Kudos
jboardman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. So If I chose to just replace the MSA and not put a second module I would physically move the drives from one MSA 1000 to another and all would be good? If I have a second shelf is that going to work the same way? Thanks again.

JB

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

At boot time the controller reads every disk for its configuration and builds the raid volume(s) from that config. This works also within an new cabinet with a new controller.

Regards

Spex

0 Kudos