VMware Cloud Community
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

MAC AND VMWARE

Hello members

I like to buy a Macbook pro(so far I have been using windows only). As I work with CAD I need to have Windows XP PRO also installed.

Now: Can I use one of the VMWARE products to install XP PRO so I can use my CAD. Which product would I use? How well would it run? How well is it running? I heard from people that it is a CPU hog?

For any replies that would help me, many thanks in advance.

NT

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Fusion (currently beta) might be worth a try

0 Kudos
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

Dave, thanks

Have you tried Fusion?

Has anyone else tried it?

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Jump over to the Fusion beta forum that Dave pointed you to - you'll find a whole bunch of people who are actively using Fusion.

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

I use Fusion on my MacBook Pro, it works pretty well. I currently use it for beta testing the application and I use Parallels for my day-to-day VM needs. Overall, I am extremely happy with both offerings, although Fusion has better 3D support Smiley Happy

Kix

PS. I still love my Mac ken 😛

Thomas H. Bryant III
notechyet
Contributor
Contributor

kix1979

Thanks!

Do the VmWare tools work also? Mouse back and forward from host to guest?

Have you been using office in the guest? How much memory do you have in the MBP? Good speed in the guest OS? Have loaded a few programms in the guest?

P.S. I still use Windows, my friend is working hard to get me on MAC and I see some good things there.(and I don't play games!!)

0 Kudos
kenrblan
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Fusion as well. I have a Windows XP guest that runs Office 2007, Virtual Center Client, and anything else that I need to manage my university's Active Directory Forest with Exchange. I haven't tried CAD, but I am pleased with the performance I get on my Mac Pro desktop. I also have a second guest that I rarely run... it is a Converter generated VM of my previous Dell desktop running XP as a backup for a "just in case I need something from my old computer" scenario.

I needed a Mac to support the growing number of Mac / Entourage users on my campus. As the primary Exchange admin, I felt obligated to know as a much as possible for any type of user/client combination.

0 Kudos
Starlionblue
Contributor
Contributor

I have also used Fusion. Works just fine. Resizes the Windows desktop on the fly even. All my wife's funky Citrix apps from her office work just like on a Windows box.

I recommend getting the beta and trying it out.

0 Kudos