VMware Cloud Community
mciacci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Local VMs and HA Cluster

Hi, we have two ESX 3.5 host with some vms on local datastore each one, besides every host has a lot of vms on local datastores.

Some vms have a big vmdk and a this time i can't stop them.

The question is, can i put the two hosts into an HA cluster and at same time leave these vms on local datastore?

Obviously without the guarantees of the HA for these VMs.

Reagads

--

Marco

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
casselc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you can add a host that has VMs on a local datastore to an HA cluster. As you said, those VMs will not be able to restart on another host during an HA failover.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
casselc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you can add a host that has VMs on a local datastore to an HA cluster. As you said, those VMs will not be able to restart on another host during an HA failover.

0 Kudos
zomx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I do not believe you can use local storage for HA.

See here:

edit: nevermind, saw that you mentioned no true HA funtionality

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remember Shared Storage is a requirement for HA.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_ha_wp.pdf

If you have hosts that have local storage, better to just leave them standalone. There really isn't any benefit in putting them in a cluster.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You could add these hosts into an HA cluster, but the VMs will not be able to have HA failover, as they are not on shared storage -

You will get alerts when configuring HA though, so ity is not a tidy solution

LeftHand Networks is working on a solution to this that will aloow acess.

Alterbnatively . . you could use something like openfiler or freenas to make the Local storage networek accesible (if this is only for testing purposes)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Configuring HA should not be a problem, but would you gain anything out of it??

HA would only work for those VMs which sit on shared storage (accessed by both hosts)

I would suggest if you really want HA to protect your VMs use shared storage otherwise it would just be a feature enabled without much use.

Hope this helps!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos