VMware Cloud Community
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Licensing per CPU or per CPU and physical machine?

I noticed the licensing stated that it is per physical CPU. If a machien is a single CPU then would a license for 2 CPU be allowed to span 2 physical host machine with 1 CPU each?

Any insight or documentation about the licensing in this area would be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need atleast two processors to run ESX.

Thats is no longer correct, both technically and legally. ESX can be installed on single CPU servers, it is just you have to buy ESX licensing in 2 CPU counts. see www.virtualization.info/2008/04/vmware-now-allows-single-cpu-license.html

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Correct.

1 license per 2 CPU.

You can have two single-CPU servers and they will be covered.

I wouldn't recommend running a single CPU server.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great!

Good information to know. ESX installs and seems to run great on my test single quad core xeon... Not sure why 2 physical is a requirement. Maybe in some systems 1 will not work correctly.

0 Kudos
virtualbot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing is per socket. So if you have 4 CPUs but just 2 sockets in your server, you will just need one license, because VMware considers 2 sockets as 2 processors. And I don't think a single license can be separated between 2 different hosts even though each host has a single CPU.

Virtualbot

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need atleast two processors to run ESX.

Thats is no longer correct, both technically and legally. ESX can be installed on single CPU servers, it is just you have to buy ESX licensing in 2 CPU counts. see www.virtualization.info/2008/04/vmware-now-allows-single-cpu-license.html

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thats is no longer correct, both technically and legally. ESX can be installed on single CPU servers, it is just you have to buy ESX licensing in 2 CPU counts

Thank you for the clarification. I was just quoting was the.pdf stated.

0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone. For reference, the news article that Tom posted lists this new part of the EULA effective at the 1st of this month which clarifies exactly what I was asking: http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/single_processor.html

0 Kudos