VMware Cloud Community
polysulfide
Expert
Expert

LeftHand SanIQ Virtual SAN for Production?

Has anyone had experience using LeftHand's Virtual SAN on ESX?

I'm designing a remote office platform and hoping I can leverage something like this to minimize the footprint and complexity of the environment. Because it's a relatively small remote office I'd want to limit my ESX cluster to 3 hosts.

I'm concerned about these things:

Maintenance Mode degrading the SAN

Performance on a 3-node SAN degraded to 2-nodes

Rebuild times in the very likely event that the SAN will become degraded

If anyone has experience with these topics I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

Very curious about the same real life reports.

polysulfide, I think we shoudl start a VSA Anonymous support group. I deal with SMB a lot, and VSAs would be perfrect, but I'm not too excited about paving the way. Especially when you can get some entry level SANs for about 12-15K and avoid putting your neck out too far.

0 Kudos
polysulfide
Expert
Expert

VSAA, nice!

This seems like a no-brainer except that its almost $6K per node after support. In a 3-node cluster you can't really justify it over an entry level SAN. It DOES include enterprise feature sets like replication but that's not very useful for the SMB who doesn't have a LeftHand SAN infrastructure.

I'm going to see what the discount structure looks like and go Guantanamo on thier SE. I'll report back my findings. I know they'll do a demo but I don't have enough spindles free to do a representative test.

0 Kudos