VMware Cloud Community
zeeshani
Contributor
Contributor

LAN Switch advice

Hi all,

I have made differnet subnets for VMs, Service Console, NAS, and VMotion.

I want to conect them all on one L3 switch and want to do Inter-Vlaning there. I was willing to use any cisco L3 entry level switch like 3560 but the cost is really a consideration.Its really very costly.Can anyone please advice me some other good alternative for this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
chrisfmss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some person in this forum, like HP product. You can look at Foundry Network product, but my preference is Cisco.

0 Kudos
chrisfmss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I forgot to tell you, Foundry has very similar CLI to Cisco.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

We use HP Procurve statewide, due to cheaper and provided all the features we need from Cisco product so its a win win and have no issues after removing everything statewide.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
zeeshani
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, due to its price HP also looks attractive to me.

But i never used it. I am used to CISCO. Is it has a CLI or webinterface for configuration and Management ? Isnt it much compicated ?

Can you please tell me which model are you using and what features of that model are being deployed at your network.

Thanks for the good help

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

I use procurve switches as well. They are not over priced like Cisco and there is no annual maintenance cost. The commands may be a little different, but the networking concepts are the same. Depending on what procurve switches you get some are CLI / Web based and some are just Web based.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Most of the switches and routers nowadays use web browser GUI to manage and configure your interfaces same to HP or Cisco. We're using mix due to smaller/larger office HP Procurve 2824 & 2848 models. It seems very stable though.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

Currently a cisco shop. 6509 sup 720's 3750,3650 etc.

Have been giving serious though about something new to get to 10g. Cisco is way out of line here.

Anybody care to comment on trunking etc to esx with some of the other vendors

0 Kudos
zeeshani
Contributor
Contributor

" Hp procurve 2824, 2848 "

DO those one provide inter-valaning ? What else L3 capabilities they offer ? I am thinking to buy them as an alternative to any cisco L 3 switch because of cost saving.

By the way, if any one there with extra / old those switches to sell ? I want the shipment in USA

0 Kudos
zeeshani
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Power Connect 6224

This dell switch seems to be very low price relative to the other vendors like HP and cisco and also with good fetures.

Anyone using or have used Dell switch ever ? I want to knw the ppl experiecne before purchasing it.

thanks

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

Have a few older dell 3524's or something like that. Could not stand them. These where the early dell rebranded cisco's with crippled IOS.

Had some very strange issues with them, Macs had issues with them as well.

Also found the performance would suffer in a few situations, The vlan tagging was poor. Cannot comment on their latest offerings.

I would stay away. I am thinking procurve,foundry, juniper etc or may be a solution for me in the future

0 Kudos