VMware Cloud Community
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is the EMC CX500 on the HCL for ESX 3.5?

I don't see the CX500 mentioned here (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_san_guide.pdf) at all. Has this device been renamed or something? I know previous ESX versions supported it. Do these newer versions of ESX no longer support it?

Thanks

Benny Hauk Systems Admin, VCP3/VCP4 LifeWay Chrstian Resources
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sakacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We're working hard to get the 7th geneation CLARiiON family (CX300/500/700) throught the HCL qual now (even for a company the size of EMC where we invest on hardware qual VERY heavily, it's a ton of work), along with qual for the updated broadeden MSCS support in 3.5u1.

We try our best to qual as much , as fast as we can - and pay close attention to the forums to readjust where we err in priorities (generally the newest platforms go first).

As a couple folks have pointed out - it ABSOLUTELY works, qual is a formality - but a VERY IMPORTANT ONE.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should add that Dell actually claims that "Dell, VMware, and EMC have certified the with ESX software". That's found in a VMware Software Compatibility Matrix that Dell published and in which it lists ESX 3.5 as supported on a CX500 (and the CX300 and CX700).

However it also ambiguously punts to VMware later on by saying, "for the latest information on specific processor support with different ESX versions, refer to Systems Compatibility Guide" (see link in previous post for that one). So basically it seems we're right back where we started.

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We are currently using ESX 3.5 with an EMC CX 500 SAN at 7 different locations.

epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ask your EMC rep, they will support it (its just that they have not submitted the qualification yet)

0 Kudos
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is really great to know.

My biggest concern though isn't with EMC support. It's what the VMware support tech will say when I call him with a production problem related to IO and he finds out we're on a CX500 and responds, "well, ESX 3.5 isn't certified to work with the CX500 so we can't support it". In the back of my mind I don't think that will happen, but I do think that if it's an exceptional challanging issue and the ticket stays open long enough and everyone racks and racks their brain enough, that eventually tech support would be able to say, "well we tried to make this unsupported SAN work but at the end of the day we don't support it"; that eventually they'll drop it if the issue at hand isn't just a trivial one. Plus I don't think having that a good feeling in the back of my mind is as good for my company as having it written out and agreed to on a piece of paper.

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When we upgraded from ESX 2.5 to ESX 3.5 we had VMware consultants on-site. They verified our equipment before we proceeded with the upgrade.

0 Kudos
sakacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We're working hard to get the 7th geneation CLARiiON family (CX300/500/700) throught the HCL qual now (even for a company the size of EMC where we invest on hardware qual VERY heavily, it's a ton of work), along with qual for the updated broadeden MSCS support in 3.5u1.

We try our best to qual as much , as fast as we can - and pay close attention to the forums to readjust where we err in priorities (generally the newest platforms go first).

As a couple folks have pointed out - it ABSOLUTELY works, qual is a formality - but a VERY IMPORTANT ONE.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

EMC is actually the one that does the tests the hardware and reports to VMware that it passes...lean on your EMC rep.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
sakacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mcgower - I'm actually the guy at EMC responsible (literally) for all things VMware (have been lurking for a bit, but wanted to jump in). Just a quick clarification while I'm outing myself - EMC and VMware are seperate independent companies (though at EMC, our view is that being the best VMware partner is our top priority and and an area of crazy focus). Everyone of our customers (those ranging from customers buying their first arrays for 10K + two ESX servers and VC - up to customers with 6000 VMs and "hundreds of million dollar a year" EMC investments) is adopting VMware like mad, because it's so good at saving them money and making their IT more flexible.

We have about 3000 ESX servers (my work lab has 450, my home basement has 6 Smiley Happy within EMC, and use pretty well everything VMware has to offer.

Ok now back to the point.....

Yes, all the vendors (us, HP, NetApp, IBM, etc...) do their own HCL qual. VMware has a self-certification program, but the vendor needs to do it - then submits the results to VMware to get posted in the monthly HCL updates. We (EMC) use EMC's e-lab (literally this is a crazy multi $B interop investment for physical and virtual interop testing - there are hundreds and hundreds of ESX servers there) to do this. There are weekly calls between the HCL team and our e-lab team.

It's churning now, but to be CRYSTAL clear, if it's not on the HCL it's not officially supported by VMware (though of course we'll do our best to work with any customer!)

sakacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folks, I'm happy to announce that as of the June 11th VMware HCL update - the entire 7th generation CX family (CX300, CX500 and CX700) are on the HCL. If there's other things you'd like to see there, please post!!

Thank you VMware HCL team and EMC e-lab team, and thank you posters for being EMC and VMware customers!

0 Kudos
dougjef
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sakacc, Any chance the CX600 will be ceritifed anytime soon?

0 Kudos
sakacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dougjef - i'm sorry, but we have no active plans on getting the 6th generation CLARiiON family, as they were EOL on 9/2004. Of course, it works, and the EOSL (end of service life) is 9/2009, but I would never recommend something not on the HCL in production.

We're focused on getting MSCS configs and broad support for direct connect (i.e. "filling out the X's in the HCL"), as well as staying in sync with VMware, and maintaining the N-1 HCL commitment.

Strongly suggest you consider a refresh - and not saying that for EMC revenue. Rather, I hope we have served you well and you could be a continued customer, and in general, I would refresh an EOL platform.

I'm open to feedback, of course.

0 Kudos
bigdee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sakacc

We are happy that the CX500/700 are supported now for ESX3.5. Unfortunately in the HCL there is only support for Qlogic HBAs. Could you say anything about supporting Emulex-HBAs.

I have just seen that our HP Emulex HBA FC2243 is on the EMC compatibility matrix for ESX 3.5 (Position 144 of VMware/HP). Is there are reason for the Emulex exlusion in the VMware HC?

Thanks

0 Kudos
sakacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Bigdee! Yup, there's been a recent change to the VMware HCL where they are looking for more granularity in the testing harness, as well as more more frequent updates. There's no reason, purely testing sequencing.

Sure enough, Emulex testing is done (along with all hardware and software iSCSI configs) is complete and expected to be in the next HCL update. Ditto with the Celerra series iSCSI with the hardware iSCSI inititators.

My pleasure, and thanks again for being EMC and and VMware customers!

(BTW - my blog, if you want more info, is here: )

0 Kudos
teich11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also interested in CX500/700 and Emulex-HBAs.

0 Kudos
bigdee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi teich11

I have just checked the new VMware HCL. It was updated on 25th July. Now there are no restrictions about HBAs using with CX500/700. So Emulex HBAs are supported, too.

CU

0 Kudos