VMware Cloud Community
CallMeJesse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is putting virtual center server on a virtual machine a bad idea?

So I didn't relize when I purchased the two servers(hosts) and VMWare foundations that Virtual Center Server was suppose to be installed on it's own server (I thought it was simply a component installed into ESX). So now I find myself with little options as to where to install virtual center except on a virtual machine.

The obvious problem with installing virutal center on a virtual machine is, if that physical server/host dies I can't migrate my machines, get alerts, ect...

Could I install 2 virtual center servers? One on each host machine? And if I did, would the settings transfer?

If I did have virtual center on a virtual machine and the host died, could I effectivly get it back by importing the virtual machine into the working host from the datastore browser?

Sorry for all the questions, if you have other ideas please share them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Jesse firstly let me welcome you to the forums.

Next onto your questions

So I didn't relize when I purchased the two servers(hosts) and VMWare foundations that Virtual Center Server was suppose to be installed on it's own server (I thought it was simply a component installed into ESX). So now I find myself with little options as to where to install virtual center except on a virtual machine.

This is not the end of the world, vCenter as a VM is a fully functional and supported method for deployment.

The obvious problem with installing virutal center on a virtual machine is, if that physical server/host dies I can't migrate my machines, get alerts, ect...

Not true, your VI Client can be pointed directly at the ESX host and machines can be managed at source.

Could I install 2 virtual center servers? One on each host machine? And if I did, would the settings transfer?

Unless you purchesed another vCenter license this would but against the EULA for the product you have bought and not really offer you anything unless you spent a significant ammount of $$$$ on vCenter Heartbeat. further setting would not transfer.

If I did have virtual center on a virtual machine and the host died, could I effectivly get it back by importing the virtual machine into the working host from the datastore browser?

If you have shared storage, and have configured HA the machine will just powerup on the next available Host ever, if you do not have HA, you can load the datastores and manually add the machine to another still functional ESX Host.

Questions are what we are here for. any more issues, just ask away

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This may answer some of your questions

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/resources/798

david

VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Make VirtualCenter highly available with VMware VI3

Article is about VI3, but it applies to vSphere as well.

DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nothing wrong with using a virtual center vm.

There is more than one way to manage your servers besides virtual center until it back on line.

It depends - If you license two virtual centers to run concurrently or license one and use high availability running one a time.

If the host containing virtual center dies you won't be able to do anything on that server until its back up.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Jesse firstly let me welcome you to the forums.

Next onto your questions

This is not the end of the world, vCenter as a VM is a fully functional and supported method for deployment.

Not true, your VI Client can be pointed directly at the ESX host and machines can be managed at source.

Unless you purchesed another vCenter license this would but against the EULA for the product you have bought and not really offer you anything unless you spent a significant ammount of $$$$ on vCenter Heartbeat. further setting would not transfer.

If you have shared storage, and have configured HA the machine will just powerup on the next available Host ever, if you do not have HA, you can load the datastores and manually add the machine to another still functional ESX Host.

Questions are what we are here for. any more issues, just ask away

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos