VMware Cloud Community
benp23
Contributor
Contributor

Intel Virtualization, NIC teaming, etc

We are setting up ESX Starter 3.0.2 52542 to consolidate about 10 vm's with various functions (ePOlicy orchestrator, DHCP, a domain controller, printserver---most are currently standalone PC servers). Hardware is 1 Xeon E5335 quad-core, 4 GB RAM on an HP DL380 G5, RAID 1 + 0, 539 GB available on vmfs. A couple of questions:

1) As this model Xeon doesn't offer hyperthreading, is there any advantage to enabling Intel Virtualization in the BIOS (I already enabled)? What does that really buy us? Intel's documentation is a bit vague on the exact benefits.

2) Should I create mutiple vswitches or multiple vm networks? I have two Broadcom NetExtreme II's connected to two Extreme 450a's running 1000 Full. Should I change the vm network NIC Teaming "Network Failover---link status only" and enable load balancing? What is the best practice you guys have found as far as performance with this kind os server consolidation?

Also---if I set my NICs on ESX to 1000 Full does that mean my individual vm's that I convert P2V have to have gigabit NICs (they are currently all 10/100)? Or is the original NIC irrelevant after they are converted?

Many thanks!

Ben

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcwill
Expert
Expert

We are setting up ESX Starter 3.0.2 52542 to consolidate about 10 vm's with various functions (ePOlicy orchestrator, DHCP, a domain controller, printserver---most are currently standalone PC servers). Hardware is 1 Xeon E5335 quad-core, 4 GB RAM on an HP DL380 G5, RAID 1 + 0, 539 GB available on vmfs. A couple of questions:

1) As this model Xeon doesn't offer hyperthreading, is there any advantage to enabling Intel Virtualization in the BIOS (I already enabled)? What does that really buy us? Intel's documentation is a bit vague on the exact benefits.

If VT is available in the BIOS then set it, it's required for 64bit VMs I believe.

2) Should I create mutiple vswitches or multiple vm networks? I have two Broadcom NetExtreme II's connected to two Extreme 450a's running 1000 Full. Should I change the vm network NIC Teaming "Network Failover---link status only" and enable load balancing? What is the best practice you guys have found as far as performance with this kind os server consolidation?

Pass

Also---if I set my NICs on ESX to 1000 Full does that mean my individual vm's that I convert P2V have to have gigabit NICs (they are currently all 10/100)? Or is the original NIC irrelevant after they are converted?

It's irrelevant.

Regards,

Iain

Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

As mcwill already stated, yes enable INTEL-VT support. It will definitely help.

As for your vSwitch by either using VLANs or Physical Ports you should segragate the Service Console from vMotion from the VM Networks.

The first two are for security reasons. the VM Networks should have at least 2 NICs associated with them. If you have limited NIC ports, I urge you to use VLANS.

pNIC spead does not translate to vNIC speed. THe vNIC will run as fast as it can up to the maximum pNIC speed.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky, author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, (c) 2008 Pearson Education

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
benp23
Contributor
Contributor

Texiwill,

When segregating the service console do I add a new service console with new vlan ID, use the same IP and then delete the default service console? How is this accomplished?

Ben

0 Kudos