VMware Cloud Community
steve_adv
Contributor
Contributor

ISCSI Network - 2 Networks Required?

Hi guys

I've been looking at this link below as a guide to improving my ISCSI/Clariion configuration - making it more "best practice".

http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1228;jsessionid=8EEB5BDB62598065E8ABCB55F077F36B

Right now what I have is my 4 ISCSI Clariion ports in a seperate single private network and divided properly across two dedicated switches. It's very similiar to the first diagram on that link except the switches are connected together. Obviously the ESX VMKernel ports are also in that subnet.

I've been told this is incorrect and that the ISCSI has to be over two networks, like in the link. I'm a little confused because the existing setup appears to be working fine. The Clariion shows the hosts as being registered and logged into all 4 targets. True failover has not been tested to a point where switches have been pulled, but it appears to cope with LUN trespasses and the occassional cable swap - but this could just be luck.

I'm hoping somebody may be able to answer why the two subnets are recommended and what might be wrong with the current setup?

Also a query - what controls LUN trespasses? Lets say I lose a switch, is it the SAN or ESX controlling the trespass from one SP to the other?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
steve_adv
Contributor
Contributor

I've managed to answer my own question. It's not really an issue until you have more than 1 NIC on your ESX going into your storage network - then multiple VMKernel's, subnets or vlan's is a must.

0 Kudos