VMware Cloud Community
hickenjr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IP KVM switch with ESX Server 3i

Hello,

I am planning on vitalizing up to 5 servers on a single box using ESX 3i and I was wondering about using my KVM switch.

Will ESX allow me to switch between the different virtualized servers with only 1 connection to the KVM?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You won't need the KVM to access the virtualized servers at all. all ESX hosts (including 3i) can be accessed by a free VI client application that allows you to control, configure and interact with the VMs.

That said, an IP KVM can be very useful when remotely monitoring the reboot of the ESX host itself.

Regards,

Iain

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You won't need the KVM to access the virtualized servers at all. all ESX hosts (including 3i) can be accessed by a free VI client application that allows you to control, configure and interact with the VMs.

That said, an IP KVM can be very useful when remotely monitoring the reboot of the ESX host itself.

Regards,

Iain

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

His comment brings up something that might be interesting - the ability to see the consoles of the VMs at the console of the ESX host....You'd be able to mask the fact its an ESX host from a physical viewpoint unless you new the hotkeys to tap to switch.

Work much like the multiple tty consoles you can do anyway....

TCronin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

And in the process add more overhead and remove a nice seperation layer/security layer. The information security guys like the fact that you can't access any of the guests via the service console.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

True, but as an extension that could be enabled by choice I think it could be handy as I could imagine some rare weirdness where you cannot get to the guest console via the web interface or VC and you need to get to a guest.

0 Kudos
hickenjr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for the info!

0 Kudos