VMware Cloud Community
kareldr
Contributor
Contributor

IBM x3950 upgrade

We have bought for start with our VI 3 two IBM x3950 (model 8872-xxx). They have had 2 procs Intel 7020 each and 16 GB. Now we have some experience with VI3 and we want upgrade for one more machine and for 4 procs and 32 GB. And here is the question.

We wanted to put all 7020 to one machine and buy new 7120 or 7130 for the second one. But IBM told us, that 7120 are not supported for 8872-xxx, but it will "maybe" work. But I need to know for sure if it will work or not. Does anyone have some experience? AND has it any big sense to buy 7130 instead 7020? Any help welcomed. Thank you. Charles

0 Kudos
2 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

Whether it would or could work, its an IBM Box and i go with what they say, or recommend.

If it went wrong you may have support issues..

Who did you speak to at IBM, as it sounds a bit odd, IBM saying it may work..?

They should know there own Servers..?

kareldr
Contributor
Contributor

They told it is not supported. I pushed them, because when we bought the boxes, there was an idea to upgrade to 71xx procs and they told it will be possible. And now they told, that our x3950 are older ones (8872-xxx) and on them 71xx are not supported officially, but ... So it is nothing against IBM guys, technician just told that there are not major changes between models and his opinion was, it may work.

0 Kudos